My PC can't find my SSD

Hello. My first post. I am running Win. 7 on a desktop using an SSD, which is fine. My problem is that I have another SSD, (new) which I used on my ASUS laptop for a day with Linux on it, but decided to return to Win 7.   After a failed attempt to install Windows, I can now no longer see the SSD on either my PC or Laptop. I did have a message saying that Windows could not be installed as the SSD was not partitioned, but as I can't see the drive, I can't do anything with it.  I connected the SSD through a SATA/ USB cable, by the way, which is working OK.  Any help appreciated. Please make it as user-friendly as possible. I'm 85 years of age.  ?

• 3 months later...

You should try to reinstall Linux to that drive ..... As you are saying that you were using linux and then turn back to window 7 .... So linux create Ext4 partition which are not readable by window ..... but if you will install linux then your SSD can detect easily and then after try to install window by format complete drive and change partition at time of installing window.

You can add also your SSD as external device to other linux operating system and use Gparted to create partition in Fat 32 or NTFS and then install window ... it will be detected by window also.

The computer will be unable to see the SSD if it is not properly connected. The devices use two cables and ports -- one to connect to the computer through SATA and the other to power the device. Laptops connect to the ports through a docking mechanism. If the computer isn't recognizing the SSD, make sure the SATA and power cables are properly connected to the SSD, motherboard and power supply. If this doesn't help, replace the cables to ascertain that a bad cable isn't causing the problem. External SSDs using USB or SATA may need to use a separate power cable to work as well.

Windows 7 may be unable to recognize the SSD if there's a problem with the file system. The file system arranges the data on the device; without it the computer can't make sense of the SSD's data. You may be able to fix the drive by clearing the partition table -- and all stored information on the drive -- with the DiskPart tool. You can use the "clean" command to completely wipe a SSD's contents.