Can Anyone Recommend A Good Modem?

Guest PC Eejit

Guest PC Eejit

I'm fed up with crappy-quality modems and want a half decent one.

However they all seem to be those rubbishy Rockwell/Connexant ones.

Anyone have any good recommendations for a decent 56k modem please? (Had a Creative USB Modem - it was rubbish)

:ph34r:

Guest Ddraigcoch

I've got an Intel Ham PCI, which has been excellent, topped with a good ISP, was getting consistent 49333bps prior to switching to broadband. It was only a cheapy, but had no trouble with it at all.

Broadband eh, Ddraigcoch! :D Just the mention of it is like a kick in the ribs for people like PC Eejit and me who can't get it for the forseeable future. :angry:

It never ceases to amaze me how many times my broadband fixed-up friends manage to squeeze the word "broadband" into a conversation - even when we are discussing the weather! :blink:

Pete

Guest Ddraigcoch

Aaaaaaaaw, sorry Pete ;)

I've only recently switched to broadband, merely for work purposes, as there wasn't any ISP's that could offer me the hours I needed, as I work from home. Apart from that, I wouldn't have switched, out of principle, and I had good connections on dial up.

Guest PC Eejit

In Ireland they'll get broadband first in Dublin (what a surprise...), then other big places like Cork and Limerick.

It'll come here (Wicklow) in about 3 years time I reckon. Believe it or not there's still NO proper unmetered access here! I have to pay €30 (Approx £20) per month for 150 hours of off-peak time.

And that only started in September!

It's truly pathetic here in Ireland for internet access. Apparently Ireland fancies itself as "The e-hub of European Commerce", or some other pompous title, yet we are literally years behind the UK. Utter disgrace :angry: :angry: :angry:

:ph34r: