[Resolved]-Drive Overlay

I may be butting in here and perhaps I should have started a new thread.But here goes.

I bought and installed a new second HDD so that I could use Drive Image which I also bought. I partitioned and formatted the new HDD using the manufacturers wizard. I now find that I cannot use DI as I have something called "Drive Overlay" installed on Drive 1, which I am told is my original Drive ©. I have been the Seagate web Site and have the instructions for removing this but it is way beyond my capability. Has any one any suggestions how to overcome my problem? thanks.

bvw I would love to think so. BUT the message I get when I try to use DI is that the drive overlay has been detected on Drive 0ne. I have been told that Drive 1 is my C drive. I could try as you suggest and see what happens. will let you know. any other help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Drive overlay used to be for old drives, years ago....don't know much about I'm afraid. As there's nothing on your new drive you won't lose anything so just as well reformat it using PM and then try Drive image again. You can partition it again any time later.

Well I have unpartitioned my second drive and have formatted it in Partition magic. Tried to do an image but again I get the same message. about this drive overlay being dectected on Drive 1.I fornatted the drive in windows,took much longer, and again the same result. Thanks for your help anyway

nellie 2 I gave you the info. you wanted,have you any suggestions please?

any more help will be appreciated.

The reason I asked about your specs was because I thought Drive Overlay was something to do with helping old mobos recognise bigger hard drives. But I'm no expert on this I'm afraid. :( Having said that.. we do have a few members who know a fair bit about hardware so be patient and I'm sure they may have some suggestions

This is the solution to my problem. Sorry if it is long winded. It is far beyond me.

To me it seems to refer to Windows 98.

Solution: Error 91 Disk Manager has been detected on drive %lu

If you no longer need to use Disk Manager on your hard drive, you can fix Error 91 by removing the Disk Manager signature from the Master Boot Record (MBR). If you are not sure whether you still need to use Disk Manager, contact your hard drive manufacturer. They can tell you not only if you still need Disk Manager, but also how to repair it. If you determine it is all right to erase the Disk Manager signature, perform the following:

1. Create a DOS boot diskette. (You can create a DOS boot diskette by choosing the option to "copy system files" when you format a floppy diskette under Windows 98.)

2. Copy the FDISK utility to the boot diskette. You can find the FDISK.EXE file in the \Windows\Command directory on any Windows 98 machine.

3. Copy the WRPROG utility to the boot diskette. Download the WRPROG utility from ftp://ftp.powerquest.com/pub/utilities/. Once you download the file, unzip it and copy the unzipped file to the boot diskette.

4. With the boot diskette inserted in the floppy drive, boot your computer.

5. Use WRPROG to back up head 0. IMPORTANT! If the Disk Manager signature is on a drive other than the primary master, you must change the drive's jumpers to make the drive the primary master. This is necessary because WRPROG is only able to back up the first head of the primary master drive. The correct command line syntax for using WRPROG to back up head 0 is: WRPROG /bak head0.dat The reason for backing up head 0 is to provide a way to restore its data if you discover later that you still need Disk Manager. The head0.dat file is written by default to the location from which you launched WRPROG (in this case, the boot diskette). You can edit or restore this file later, if necessary. For information on restoring the backup file to head 0, see PowerQuest Solution777.

6. Run FDISK with the CMBR switch to clean out the Disk Manager signature from head 0 of the primary master drive. The correct command line syntax is: FDISK /CMBR 1 NOTE: The number 1 signifies the primary master drive.

Problem Description:

Error 91 Disk Manager has been detected on drive %lu

Error 91

Error 91 Disk Manager has been detected on drive %lu, but Disk Manager is not running

Problem Environment

PartitionMagic

PartitionMagic Pro

Drive Image

Drive Image Pro

DriveCopy

VolumeManager

ServerMagic

ImageCenter

DeployCenter

Cause(s) of the problem

This error is reported if Disk Manager is detected in the first head (head 0) of the hard disk but is not running.

© 2003 PowerQuest Corp.

Thank you all very much for the help you have tried to give me. I did not really think that I would find a solution. I shall just have to live with it. I am miffed because the sole purpose of buying a second HDD and the Drive Image software was to be able to have an Image of my C drive in case of catastophe, instead I seem to have created one. Perhaps not a catastophe but a bnig problem anyway. Thanks again. You can't win ' :angry: em all.

Hello Again, thought I would let everyone interested know that my problem has been solved. This was done with the help of the Seagate Tech. support,which were very helpful,even though a little technical for the likes of me.

Thanks again for your efforts and help on my behalf.

This issue is now resolved. :rolleyes:

Well- it is a bit long winded,but here goes

The original error that I was getting when I tried to use Drive Image was "Error#91 Disk manager has been detected on drive 1". Drive 1 is my C drive.(Disk Manager is Seagates name for D.O)

Drive Image support indicated to me that this message meant that I had Drive Overlay installed on the drive and gave me some VERY complicated instructions as to how to get rid of it. (I posted these)

I eventually got in touch with the Seagate support and they assured me,after a few goes, that I did NOT have DO installed or I would see a blue banner on boot-up.They said the problem was that the imaging program (Drive Image) may be referring to the Master Boot Record that their Disk Wizard had created. To get rid of this record I had to make 2 floppies -obtained from their web site,follow the instuctions to wipe the drive clean. Then repartition and format ,not using their wizard. I used Partition magic. and problem solved. :D

Perhaps you can see why I did not give the details before. I did start, but thought the explanation was a bit complicated. I am pleased to know that you and other members are interested .

• 8 months later...