XP Restore and Microsoft Updates

I recently experienced Internet Explorer 6 freezing and crashing problems and solved the problem by using the Windows XP restore feature to revert my system to an earlier date.

The date I reverted to was before auto-update downloaded some Microsoft Windows XP patches, before Office XP SP2 was installed and before I installed Windows XP SP1.

I assumed that the system would be restored back to its state prior to being updated with these patches – but Help-About in the Office programmes still shows the version as SP2, the various XP Hotfixes and Windows XP SP1 are still listed in Control Panel – Add or Remove Programmes and Windows XP is listed as version SP1 (using AIDA32).

In addition – when I log onto the Microsoft Update sites for both Windows XP and Office XP the checks indicate that I do not need any updates. If this is the case – what exactly has the restore function done ? For sure it cured my Internet Explorer problems but has it left some chaos in its wake ???

Confused !!

Response from Microsoft Support which confirms that you need to be careful when using the Windows restore function........

Quote...

Thank you for requesting support for Microsoft Office XP. In your case you have indicated in order to resolve a problem with Internet Explorer you used System Restore to revert your system back to a previous time prior to installing certain patches etc. for Office. You say that you would expect the system to be reverted to a state to reflect this but Office still shows that is has Service Pack 2 installed.

System Restore is a troubleshooting tool rather than a system backup application. The purpose of system restore is to back up the Windows registry and "core" files which affect the ability of the operating system to function. Any files which do not impact the ability of Windows to load and run are not backed up by system restore. It will not operate as a full "system backup".

A discrepancy can be found between the registry and program files as the registry is reverted to the previous snapshot but program files may not be reverted if not impacting the system. Office applications take their versions from the specific exe and dll files involved - as these files are not designated "core" files they remain at the patch level prior to using system restore.

Due to the way System Restore operates it can result in applications needing to be reinstalled as they may require files which have been reverted to a previous state or have lost their corresponding registry information if installed since the last restore point.

I hope this helps to clarify the situation.

Unquote