NT Server + Win98

apunkto

Hi!

I have 15 computers in local area network (runs with TCP/IP), and their OPSystem is Windows 98. In addition to that, I have Windows NT Server 4.0. I'd like to use this as fileserver for my network. That is not difficult but I want users not to be able to install new programs or delete system files from the computer they're working with. Is it possible in Windows 98? Should I use login scripts/registry editors? The main problem is to prevent user from installing programs in Windows 98.

I know my English is bad, but I hope someone will understand is as much as it's needed for helping me :blush:

Hello apunkto, and welcome to the Forum :D .

Now I may stand to be corrected here, but I don't think you are going to be able to prevent your users from installing software or deleting files. The problem with Win98, is that there is just about 0% file security on the system. This means that you cannot give certain users or groups the required permissions to not delete or change files.

You can certainly deploy policies from the server with login scripts (assuming your users log on to a domain), but you will only be able to restrict access to certain things. This does not extend to the ability to prevent installation of software or deleting of files. (You can of course prevent them from deleting or changing things on your server.)

In order to do this, I am fairly sure you will need to upgrade your workstations to Win 2000 as a minimum.

As another alternative, you could get hold of some software such as Powerquest's Drive Image, and make images of your workstations in a state that you are happy for them to be in. This would then make it a fairly simple job to restore a machine to good working state, if anybody messes one up.

Sorry if this is not the answer you are looking for :( , but I would also be interested if somebody can tell you different.

Regards. Mr. Mouse.