Home network

nellie2

I was trying to sort out a friends PC last night.... but it was in such a bad state we ended up burying it and got out the restore disks!!! :huh:

Anyway, her hubby asked me for some advice on networking but I haven't a clue.. so I said I would ask.

They have BT broadband on ADSL... the main PC is windows ME :wacko: and they want to network to the daughters laptop which is an Apple Notebook and when the son comes home from Uni network it to his laptop too... but I don't know what he has.

I think they would like seperate connections..ie, not having a parent pc on all the time... that means a router doesn't it??

Also the main PC is downstairs and the little darlings would be esconced in their bedrooms upstairs...

Any recommendations of kit etc required for this.... please

Guest Blink_182_fan

Well I'm getting a home network kit but if they have a bt broadband modem they will need a router with a built in modem or so i was told this is an example of what they could get

Router with built in modem

and

Wireless notebook card

But see what Mr Mouses says and they will need to get one of those network cards for each lab top

And with the last bit i dont understand is the main pc going in the childrens room are are they getting another one?

If they are they will need this

Destop wireless pci card

Or do they want a wired network?

Hi Nellie, Blink has pretty much answered your question. The easiest and best solution would be to fit a router. Unless the ADSL modem has an ethernet output (which I doubt), they will be best getting a router with a built in modem.

As two of the machines which will be connected are laptops, I think that the best solution would be to get a router with wireless capability. I can recommend the Netgear DG834G Details Here, but there are others about. Incidently, this product was over £120.00 six months ago, it can now be found for under £60.00 :o

All they will need then, is an NIC card in the desktop near the router, and either wireless cards or NIC cards (although most modern laptops already have a built in ethernet connection) if they wish to "hard wire" the laptops. Incidently, if they do wish to run the cables, then they will not need a wireless router.

This would give them the benefits of having a permanant connection for all computers as required, the ability to network between the computers, and the extra protectiona router offers to the home network.

Mr. M.