AOL Broadband

Sir T Fireball

I have AOL dsl and use the BT Voyager modem supplied by AOL. I want to network my laptop to the desktop pc but have a problem (I think) :unsure:

Am I right in assuming that my modem needs to have an ethernet socket in order to connect to a router? The Voyager modem doesn't appear to have one, so could I use another dsl modem with my AOL connection or am I stuck until I change my ISP :huh:

Ta muchly in advance

If the PC has an ethernet card, then all you need is a hub or a crossover cable. Connect the two computers. On the computer with the connection to the net, share the connection, then on the laptop set it up to use DHCP.

Shouldn't be a problem unless AOL has some strange, wierd, unusual, stupid, dumb, requirement or limitation to sharing an internet connection. :rolleyes:

Been that way for the past three months Sir T. You can just use your username/password to log onto AOL without installing the software and AOL will also work with any router for networking. It aways could be networked but had to be done through a proxy. :)

I have AOL dsl and use the BT Voyager modem supplied by AOL.  I want to network my laptop to the desktop pc but have a problem (I think)  :unsure:

Am I right in assuming that my modem needs to have an ethernet socket in order to connect to a router? The Voyager modem doesn't appear to have one, so could I use another dsl modem with my AOL connection or am I stuck until I change my ISP  :huh:

Hi Sir T, as Bruce has already pointed out, it would be possible for you to network your laptop to your PC and share the broadband connection using ICS. However, I think you will find it far more convenient to use a router and have independent connections.

Your best bet, would be to buy a router with a built in modem, and you may even wish to consider one with a wireless access point as well, so that you could connect from your laptop from around the house.

One example of such a device, is the Netgear DG834G

This would give you the advantage of being able to connect your machines to the internet without the need for both to be on, to easily network them, and to have the added security that one of these routers will add to your connection.

Mr. M.

oops! I have just taken delivery of a Belkin router that somebody else suggested :blush: Guess I'll be asking them if they'll let me exchange it :blush:

Would this do the same job as the netgear item? Router/Modem I definitely want a wireless connection and the ability to use the remote laptop without needing the base pc switched on.

It would appear to be capable of doing the job, however, there is no technical information at all for the product, not even a brand name :( so I can only go on the brief description.

You could always stick with the product you have ordered, and simply get a cheap modem with an ethernet output.

Mr. M.

The only reason I suggested a hub, switch or crossover cable is because he said his modem only had a USB connection. That would mean plugging the router into the PC anyways, so why not save the expense and just get a switch/hub, or crossover cable.

Bruce, you argument is valid, however as Sir T points out, he wishes to be able to use the laptop without the pc being on, to do this, it is much easier with a router.

Also, in the UK, the prices of basic routers have fallen to little more than a switch, so if you were going to get a switch (hubs are pretty much redundant now), you may as well pay the extra and go for a router.

Mr. M.

Can I start again please - and I will provide more info this time :P

I have a desktop pc

OS = Windows XP home

ISP = AOL Broadband

Modem = BT Voyager Modem

I have a laptop

OS = Windows XP home

Belkin PCMCIA Card

I have a wireless router - Belkin 802.11b

What do I need to replace (and or) purchase to make a wireless network between my desktop and laptop. Preferably a connection that does not require the base unit (desktop) to be powered up in order to access the internet with my laptop.

Sorry if I'm being more dense than usual :rolleyes:

edit: I have just logged into AOL live help chat - and their operative tells me that I can only connect to AOL if using a modem/router supplied by them?

edit #2: Seems that operative number 2 says I can use any modem/router, but that they only offer support on their products - slippery sods

Yep! any old router will do But as to the rest of your question I'll leave to the others. When I was with AOL up till July of last year my son's laptop was connected through my desktop this way and either could access without the other being on but it was a tech. friend of mine who did the setup.

This setup had been running for a year prior to last July when AOL said it would not work let alone offer advice. :lol:

You can do a "Migration" of your service from one provider to the other. For this to work don't cancel your current contract, contact your new ISP and request a migration of service.

Your new provider will take care of everything and what happens is, instead of your current provider disconnecting you which can take up to 10 days then the 3 to 10 days of new provider sorting you out. With a migration, the BT engineer calls at the exchange and swaps you from one to the other and your off-line for only 15-20 minutes. Also the activation fee is cheaper because of the engineer only being called out the once. :) j.

What do I need to replace (and or) purchase to make a wireless network between my desktop and laptop. Preferably a connection that does not require the base unit (desktop) to be powered up in order to access the internet with my laptop.

The parts you require are as follows,

An ADSL modem with an ethernet output to connect to your router

and (If not already fitted) an Network card and cable to connect your existing pc to the router.

Mr. M.

Mr M, Djohn & Bruce; thanks for the help :)

I don't have a network card in my PC. Never realised I needed one of those :rolleyes: Have a card (pcmciamcpia thingy) for my laptop though and will go purchase a card for the pc tomorrow. The cable connecting the pc to router is a standard cable I assume? The nice chappies at Maplins will know what I need by your description I hope :P

Again, thanks all.

Andy

edit: Checked the boxed router and a cable (RJ45 Ethernet Network Cable) comes with it. Is this the cable you refer to?

The cable supplied with the router should be OK for connecting to your pc, however you may need another cable for your new modem (I would have a good bet that the new modem does not come with a cable).

As for the ethernet card, I personally would go for an internal Pci card, but if you feel uncomfortable opening your pc and installing one, then a usb device should be fine. As for brand, it really makes very little difference. All the big names produce very cheap reliable cards.

Mr. M.

MTU = Maximum Transmission Unit.

There you are, all explained now. :lol:

Have a look at this page and see if it helps.

http://compnetworking.about.com/library/gl...y/bldef-mtu.htm

Also have taken this little bit of info from "Webpedia"

MTU

Short for Maximum Transmission Unit, the largest physical packet size, measured in bytes, that a network can transmit. Any messages larger than the MTU are divided into smaller packets before being sent.

Every network has a different MTU, which is set by the network administrator. On Windows 95, you can also set the MTU of your machine. This defines the maximum size of the packets sent from your computer onto the network.

Ideally, you want the MTU to be the same as the smallest MTU of all the networks between your machine and a message's final destination. Otherwise, if your messages are larger than one of the intervening MTUs, they will get broken up (fragmented), which slows down transmission speeds.

Trial and error is the only sure way of finding the optimal MTU, but there are some guidelines that can help. For example, the MTU of many PPP connections is 576, so if you connect to the Internet via PPP, you might want to set your machine's MTU to 576 too. Most Ethernet networks, on the other hand, have an MTU of 1500, which is the default MTU setting for Windows 95.

No! Too early to surrender. Mr. M. will sort you on this better than I can explain it. Although I had a network with AOL it was done for me so although I understand it a little, it's not enough to be able to explain to others. :(