adding a MAc address to blueyonder selfcare page!!

ikkle_cherub

Can anyone help!!!!!!

I dont know much about internet connections or computers so hope someone out there can help :(

I have a pc, windows xp i connect to the internet throught blueyonder broadband.

I want to set up my laptop( the shop i bought it from said it was able to connect through boradband connection) for internet use by unplugging my modem from my pc and plugging it in to my laptop but on the blueyonder website it says i have to add the MAC address of my new laptop, i mannaged to find my MAC address and went to the selfcare page on blueyonder i followed there instructions which were

(Login to selfcare.

From the main menu, click the option called Your Network Interface MAC address (see below) which is listed under Network Interface Management.) there u can add your MAC address.

But when i went on to selfcare i couldent find any of that all that is in selfcare is:

Add - edit - delete email aliases

Change password for your mailbox

ConnectionDetails

Change Password

Rename PWP space

Remaining webspace

Upgrade to Dual Connector Service

Upgrade to 1.5Mb Broadband Service

Upgrade to 3Mb Broadband Service

Upgrade your PWP account

Add FrontPage Server Extensions

Remove FrontPage Server Extensions

Reset FrontPage Server Extensions (if installed)

Reset Site (also resets FrontPage Server Extensions if installed)

Site usage - 24 hours [ hits | bytes ]

Site usage - 7 days [ hits | bytes ]

Site usage (Detailed)

View site logfiles

AS you can see there is nothing called Network Interface Management. so does anyone know how to help me all i want is to connect my laptop to my current broadband connection.

Hi again ikkle_cherub, Nellie has found the right link for you.

However, I would add that this may become a pain in the proverbial rear area :huh: , every time you wish to change between pc and laptop, you will have to release your IP Address and turn off your modem for at least two minutes before connecting the required device and turning everything back on.

I would suggest that you consider getting a router. This can then be registered to the connection and left connected permanently. You can then connect both (or more, up to 255 devices) of your computers to the internet at the same time. You would also be able to network your devices if required, and a router also gives a greater level of security to a broadband connection.

If you would like more information on this, then please ask.

Regards. Mr. Mouse.

:o Yes id like more info on the router im not very good at this sort of thing i was going to try and connect another wire from my modem to the laptop but it only has one slot for the phone wire.

id need to know if it was idiot proof :lol: pmsl.

u said u had found a link but dident suply it.

i will consider getting a router but for the mean time id like to beable to switch as i dont plan on using my pc much id be using my laptop more and only using my pc to download things ie music, dvd's.

any help is welcome. :D

OK first things first, I actually said that Nellie had already found the correct link for you (in the post two before mine)

Next, exactly what sort of connection do you currently have, and how does it conect to your current pc? Is it an ethernet or usb connection?

Linksys do a fairly good online walkthrough for home networking, so start by having a look here http://www.linksys.com/edu/

We can take it from there, once you let me know what sort of connection you currently have. I also need to know what available connections you have in your laptop.

Mr. M.

ok the man who put my internet connection is left me this booklet and it has on the front!

10/100Mbps

D-link

Model DFE-538TX

Fast Earthent Adapter for PCI Bus

With WOL

User guide.

I think thats what he put inside my pc to plug the phone wire from my modem in to.

it says on my modem SA Webstar DPX110 Modem.

I have no idea about the connection my laptop has i know it has a LAN Connection and a modem Port it also says in the book Intergrated 56K modem if that helps

I have just recived an email from blueyonder saying:::

Under the new system, it is no longer required to add NIC mac addresses to your account to access the internet with another PC, however when the cable modem is moved from one computer to another, it can require up to 3 hours to 'forget' the learned MAC address of the computer it has been plugged into.

To ensure that the change of computer is recognised by the cable modem, please follow the steps below:

1) Release the IP details from the computer the modem is connected to.

2) Power off the cable modem for 2.5 to 3 hours.

3) Plug the cable modem into the computer you are moving to.

4) Power on the cable modem.

5) Power on/reboot the computer it is now plugged into.

This will ensure that the cable modem has had time to 'forget' the MAC address of the first computer.

BUT I SILL HAVE A PROBLEM OF NOT KNOWING HOW TO RELEASE MY IP ADDRESS LOL

Right, the Dlink-538tx is an NIC (Network Interface Card), which would mean that that the cable you use to connect to the modem is an ethernet cable. To connect your laptop to the broadband connection, you would unplug the cable from the pc, and plug it into the LAN connection port on the laptop.

You will of course need to register the mac address with Blueyonder, and go through the two minute stuff I mentioned earlier.

Now if you had a router, such as this one Click Here, then once the router was registered, it would be left in place as the permanent connection device.

You could then attach devices at will to the router (subject to the number of ports, but these can be added to) and have internet connection immediately without the need to shutdown your modem for two minutes. You would also be able to have multiple devices using the internet connection at the same time, so you could have your pc downloading music whilst you were using your laptop to research the latest project for work.

You would also be able to share files and printers between the computers you have connected to the router (home network).

Most home routers also have a basic firewall of some description built in, so they also add a level of protection to your computers, which is a must for a broadband connection. You will also find, in my experience, that because the router maintains a permanent connection to your modem (as opposed to a pc which tends to be shut down for periods of time), that the broadband connection becomes more stable.

All in all, for the sake of approx £35.00, a router would just make life far more convenient.

Mr. M.

BUT I SILL HAVE A PROBLEM OF NOT KNOWING HOW TO RELEASE MY IP ADDRESS LOL

Go to start, then Run, and in the box type cmd and hit the enter key.

A dos box should open. At the command prompt, type the following

ipconfig /release all

This will release the Ip address for your connection.

Mr. M.

PS I guess that now you will need to switch off the modem for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, a router becomes even more desireable :D

post-55-1086005490.jpg

Hi, I have just networked 2 Pc's with blueyonder broadband and I used a D-Link 604 router from here

There was no need to register with blueyonder.

ITS QUICK AND EASY TO SET UP. Unplug the modem, connect the modem to the router and the router to the pc with the internet conection, plug in the router, plug in the modem and wait for the lights to come on, switch on your pc, go to start/run type in cmd click ok, on the black screen type ipconfig/all and enter. Look for the 'host name' make a note of it. Follow the instructions in the manual adding the host name when prompted and click the clone MAC address, continue until setup is complete. Unplug the modem, switch off pc, when pc is off plug the modem back in wait for the lights to come on and switch on the pc. You should now be able to connect to the internet through the Router. Now you can connect any other pc's to the router and switch them on, windows XP should just install connection itself . You should be able to connect to the internet streight away.