Performance of my Network

Chris

How can I mesaure the speed of my home network, see how efficent it is and generally improve it's performance.

DESKTOP: 10/100 LAN

LAPTOP: 11Mbps Centrinio [signal stenght Excellent]

Connected to a DG834G

Browsing my shared drive would seem to take a bit longer then I wanted and transferring files between desktop and laptop, well not sure what the theoretical maximum would be with the lower speed being from the Centrinio.

When I do transfer files the time takes varies...Anyway to speed it up.

A bit general I know.

XP Home.

In truth, to do this properly involves some very expensive monitoring software and hardware.

The simplest way for home networks, would be to get out your calculator and do the sums, then time file copies between machines. Not forgetting that network speeds are rated in bits. So as an example, a 1.44 Mb file is actually 12,091,312 bits, 11mbps is 11,000,000 bits per second, so you can see that really you need to do this with bigger files and a quick finger, as the above example would only take 1.01 seconds.

You could also try using windows built in system monitor (nee perfmon), in administrator tools, or I found this free download Racoonworks which may or may not be any good.

Mr. M.

PS generally, the term Bandwidth is used instead of speed.

Well I don't know about the minute, but I've given you just over an hour  :D

So I guess it's official, your network is SLOW  :rolleyes:  :D  :P

Mr. M.

:lol:

Well it was up and down and I got fed up when it went stable at 180 minutes...Not waiting 3 hours.

How long would it take 100mbps?