hidden network compoents

pc-geek

Sorry if this post is in the wrong location. Anyway.. Im having trouble with my wireless network. This is more of a windows problem.

Let me tell you the story. I have the netgear MA101 usb wireless adapter. I installed and configured the wireless network etc. Everything worked great. Untill I turn off the computer. When I turn on the computer, It then looses all the settings plus fails to see the usb wireless adapter. So i have to reinstall the adapter and configure the settings again. The weird thing is that when Windows opens the connection, it creates a whole new connection instead of using the wireless connection it used previously. So now after a few reboots. I then notice that its on wireless connection #8. Durrr?

Then today. The usb wireless adapter falls off my desk and breaks. Ok. So i buy a new adapter this one from Dlink. I install it and works beautifully. Now windows makes another "local Area connection" this time #9. My question is now, how do i delete the other 8 local area connections that are hidden from the computer. Windows hides the connection if it doesn't see the adapter. So its not like i can see it when I open My network places. On top of that is I cant delete the drivers that the previous adapter used. If the adapter isn't connected you wont beable to see it in device manager. I know where the drivers are located but windows wont let me delete the file because, windows thinks the driver is still being used. Any ideas?

Hello pc-geek, and welcome to the Forum.

Right this problem has caused me to have a real good head scratching session. It is not something I have come accross before. I have not been able to find much information about it elsewhere either. But, I have thought of a possible solution, which may (I stress may) work.

It will involve editing the registry, so I have to stress that you should make a good backup of your registry before you start, and know how to replace it should it go wrong and render your pc unusable.

Next, remove the current connection Network and Dial up Connections, and the device from Device Manager. Then open your registry in regedit and search for

Local Area Connection

I would then delete all the keys which return the above data, thus clearing your registry of all the connection numbers. Once you have found and removed them all, close regedit and reboot the machine.

You should then be able to install your new NIC as the only Local area Connection. I don't now why the problem occured though, and it is entirely possible that it will continue to happen, perhaps you can let us know if it does, and I will have a further think.

Regards. Mr. Mouse.

Just a footnote to your initial problem. I am wondering if the issue is caused by the fact it is a USB device, and windows needs it to be "removed" (using the systray app) prior to shutting down. Just a thought.

Mr. M.

Most usb devices require to be "shut down" before disconnecting them. They say it can cause problems with the device, but I have not heard it doing anything to windows.