Wireless Network

Kirbster

A quick question,

I set up a wireless network yesterday, when i turn the PC's on they automatically are assigned IP addresses by the router, my question is what's to stop my next door neighbour, if they knew I had a wireless network, installing a wireless card in their PC and accessing my network for free internet etc...???

Can someone explain how it works and what I can do to protect it? I have a belkin ADSL modem with wireless router if that helps

Nothing really.. You have to install specific software to get it to connect, but I don't think there is anything stopping them. I'm not a wireless expert, but I'm sure you can assign a password to it if you'd like.

Infact, when I was in school, we got laptops as part of our program, and while driving around, I could see wireless networks connect and disconnect as I moved along. I could also park, connect to the internet, download a file and be on my way :D

Probably not a good thing to do, but I was trying to understand how it worked. I still can't answer you with full confidence, though, I'm sure someone will :)

There are various things you can do such as not broadcasting the SID, limiting access by MAC address (unique address for a network card) and encrypting the data. Taking off DHCP and using fixed IP address will also help. In my experience a wireless network may work better using fixed IP addresses and not DHCP.

Any documentation that came with your router should provide ways of keeping your network secure. If you post the make and model of your router someone may be able to offer more specific advice.

• 2 months later...

You should also be able to turn Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) on the Wireless Router and all connecting PC's. Remember to use the same encryption level and the same key on all PC's. WEP keys can be hacked, but it takes a little effort, and most people just trying to get free Internet will move on to someone else.

Sincerely,