NAV Automatic Live Updates.

Badger

Hello, Hope someone out there can answer my question. I have just been reading thread, but unfortunatley it does not quite answer what I want to know.

The question is:- Does NAV run Automatic live update at start-up?

In my the task scheduler the" last run time,"when I startup,is always shown as the night before.

"Also when I view the activity log it says "Exit code 0". not 65.

I have XP Home and installed SP2 and have just recently installed NAV2005. I seem to think that It did run on startup and showed an exit code of 65 before ,when I was using NAV 2003.

I have email Symantec support, but they do not seem to understand the question.I have trawled their web site and cannot find the answer

I hope someone out there will be able to help.

Thanks. j

I have Norton AV 2003. I use broadband, and as soon as I start the computer Auto live update runs. I know this because the moment that the computer has finished booting up, if there are updates available, the little lantern bottom right of the screen starts running, showing that the download is taking place. Does this answer your question?

Helo ansomeand thank you for your reply. It sort of answers my question,because this is what I thought used to happen,but isn't happening since I upgraded to 2005.

You say you know this is happening because of the update window popping up,bottem left, but how do you know it is happening if there are no updates available? Can you tell from the netdetect entry in the task schedule? When I start up and then look in the task schedule "the last runtime" is always the night before. If it had just done a "netdedect" (connected to the symantec site and looked for updates) then I would expect the" last run time" to be around the time I had swtiched on.

The other thing is that if you look in the log, it shows,when netdetect has run, that the exit code is 0.I am sure it used to be 65 which means a succsessful connection.

I do not think that the automatic live update facility is working,but do not know how to find out. All my setting are default (ie live update enables etc)

Sorry to go but I am trying to explain,which I do not find easy. Certainly symantec Tech. help do not understand the problem I am trying to explain. thanks again. j

No worries. OK, so Norton isn't running at Startup. ( The startup entry in your programmes list, the empty one, is not the same thing. ) Now some might disagree but I think you're better off not having Norton doing anything on automatic, except blocking attacks. It's a generally accepted resource hog and will impact on your performance.

Can you run the update checker from the Norton programme ? If you can you could do it daily and save on resources. Up to you. Otherwise you'll have to look at Norton and find out how to enable the updater to run at startup.

People have different preferences as to what they want to run at startup. 'Explorer' and 'Systray' are essential, but I also allow my firewall and my AVG anti-virus app. That's just four, no updaters at all.

PS. When you open 'Autorun' and look at the 'View' tab, the entry ' Show Appinit DLL's' will open your startup folder and show the contents. The other tabs are extras which I don't fully understand yet. :blink:

:D

Thank you for your help.I am able to download the virus definitions manually and am up todate,so no worry there. I would really like the auto live update to work. I have had NAV since 2001 and it is only with this upgrade to 2005 that I seem to be having the problem.When I opened the tab in autorun which you suggested,again I could not find netdetect.

I have been at this all day, so will see what tomorrow brings. Thank you again for your help.J

No, you won't find it with 'Autorun' because it just shows what's already loading.

You'll find it somewhere in your Norton folder. Try entering 'netdetect' in 'search/files/folders' if you can't locate the Norton folder in Windows/Programmes.

You should read the Norton 'Help Files' though because it will probably tell you how to enable 'netdetect' if that's what you want to do.

Take a break. :D

Thanks Moon. I have found Netdetect in the Live update folder. You cannot open it . I have searched the help files and have searched the web site. I have sent emails to tech.support and uptodate I am still no further forward. My next step is to unstall this upgrade for which I paid £19.78 and reinstall 2003, which was working.I have asked Powerless for help,as he wrote the thread about Live update and thought he may be able to point me in the right direction. I will wait as see. There does not seem anything else I can do.

I have Norton firewall 2003 and the windows firewall is off.

Helo ansomeand thank you for your reply. It sort of answers my question,because this is what I thought used to happen,but isn't happening since I upgraded to 2005.

You say you know this is happening because of the update window popping up,bottem left, but how do you know it is happening if there are no updates available? Can you tell from the netdetect entry in the task schedule? When I start up and then look in the task schedule "the last runtime" is always the night before. If it had just done a "netdedect" (connected to the symantec site and looked for updates) then I would expect the" last run time" to be around the time I had swtiched on.

The other thing is that if you look in the log, it shows,when netdetect has run, that the exit code is 0.I am sure it used to be 65 which means a succsessful connection.

I do not think that the automatic live update facility is working,but do not know how to find out. All my setting are default (ie live update enables etc)

Sorry to go but I am trying to explain,which I do not find easy. Certainly symantec Tech. help do not understand the problem I am trying to explain. thanks again. j

I have never thought to check what is or isn't running. I just know that every Thursday morning the little lantern bottom right appears, to show that a download is taking place. This happens on other occasions as well, if new definition files are issued. I also run live update myself once a week, because the odd upgrade does not come down automatically with the definition files.

Thanks andsome for your reply. I have now got it sorted,as you will see from below. It is not as intended but it is working now.(I hope)

Moon. Oh! dear Oh! dear. what a mess I got into. I had looked at the link you gave me but it appeared complicated having to start in save mode. However,I thought I would give it a try. I printed out the instructions andthouight I had done it right,but something,somewhere went wrong. It is a long story,so I will not bore you with it. In short,the comp.kepti rebooting as soon as it got past the welcome .I have on a usb exterbal drive an image of C drive made with Drive Image AND Acronis, I could not get either of these to restore.(so they are less than useless).I kept getting messages about Windows Installer,but very briefly and then it would reboot again. Anyway I have now got my computer back to normal(I could get into System Restore from safe mode, but when I restored it said that NAV could not be repaired and I had to uninstall it.) That was another problem.

I have now reinstalled NAV 2003. and will forget about 2005 upgrade. I have lost my £19+ but I will write that off as experience.

Hope I haven't bored you too much . There is much more to tell but enough is enough. Thanks again for your help. I should have just unistalled 2005 in the first place. Badger

Thank you Powerless. There is no option to set a password that I can see.

Do you know what it means when I get an "Exit code 0" when Symantec netdetect runs. I find this everytime I look in "View log"

It does not run at startup but it would appear to run every 4 hours except I get this exit code 0,when I used to get Exit code 65.Which is the code Symantec says is successful. Badger

I'm sorry that the Norton site fix was no use to you , badger. My advice now would be, take it or leave it, cut your losses, dump Norton altogether and use AVG . I started off with Systemwoks 2000 (£75) which slowed me to a crawl and interfered with all manner of other apps. Then I installed their Personal Firewall, which locked me up and forced a reformat. ( £35) If anybody wants these apps., PM me and you can have them for postage.

PS. That's the overwhelming advice I got when I took my Norton problems online.

Thank you very much Moon. I may just take your advice. Does AVG update auto or do you have to do it yourself. I have always thought you get what you pay for.

The fix you pointed me to and which upskittled my computer,was entirely my fault. I deleted ALL the SYmantec share folder instead of the Virus def.folder IN the shared folder. silly me!!I did do it properly next time and all was well with the computer,it did not solve the problem.

I reinstalled NAV2003 But I cannot uninstal 2005. when I click it in add/remove,nothing happens. I see on the Symantec site there is instructions how to do it,so I will try that when I have more time.

I do not know if you know anything about drive imaging. I had an Image of my C drive made by Drive image 7 and Acronis TI8. Both are on my external usb drive. I could not seem to use either whenI was in trouble. I was under the impression that I could just restore my C drive by using one or the other. Sorry to keep loading you with my problems and thank you again for your help. Badger

With AVG you get a lot more than what you pay for as it's free. The paid version is superior.

Yes, I use Drive Image. Using the Wizard, you select the location of your redundant drive ( C ? ) , the location of your Image and that's it. Can you see your external drive listed in Drive Image ? My back up Image is on the same hard-drive ( diff. partition) as my, often deleted, OS.

PS, yes, you can set AVG for automatic updates. Bit of a pain though, when you're chatting someone up and it kicks in. :D

Thanks again Moon. In Drive Image I got as far as iy saying that I haad to restart with the disk in the drive. I did that,but it all went pear shaped. I cannot really tell you what happened,as that day everything seemed to go wrong. I will have to try it again. Was it right in saying I had to reboot etc. I thought I would just be able to restore in windows. In Acronis which I also tried.It did not have H Drive showing. H being my ext.drive with the image on it. I got TI 8 as it is supposed to support USB drives.

With regard to the updates coming when "you're chatting someone up" ass I can say is chance would be a fine thing. I am a retired way past my sell by date!!.

Lol ! Expect some similarly retired ladies to bookmark you. :D

What do you mean by the disk in the drive ? My Drive Image is loaded in Windows and I activate it from there.

Plug in your H drive, the one with your clean Image on it, go to 'My Computer' and check that the drive is visible. Then open Drive Image and make sure that your H drive is listed in the locations. That being the case, you should be able to install your clean Image in place of the corrupt OS etc. on drive 'C'. Drive Image will delete all of your 'C' partition and reboot itself before loading your fresh Image on there.

If Drive Image can't see your H drive you're going to have uninstall it ( your clean Image will be safe on your H drive), plug in your H drive and reinstall Drive Image again. It should then list your H drive as a location.

Right Moon. This is what happens:_ Start Prog.>start Restore Drive>Backup file to restore.I browse to H Drive,which is shown and pick the Image file. (H:C\Drive v2. (In the advance option ("Set Drive active (for booting OS))" I leave that blank. It would then appear to start but a few seconds in I get the message "This operation cannot be performed whilst Windows is running. You must complete the op.inside the Recovery Envirerment. Yes\no. If I pick yes I am asked to insert the disk. I did do this but now I cannot remember the problem,all I know is I was not able to restore.

I have got to the stage of wanting to reformat and start again, but the task is daunting. Badger

Norton AntiVirus 2003 Symantec 32-bit and 64-bit (NX) http://www.symantec.com At system startup, Scheduled Tasks in Norton AntiVirus 2003 does not automatically scan

The above is pasted from MSM Knowledge Base Article 884130.I cannot believe it. All that trouble. Symantec says there is no conflicts! and what threw me was that my friend had NAV and it runs fine. It is however 2002. so there we have it.

With regard to DI yes it is installed . I bourght DI7 (I had another one) because it is supposed to support USB. My Image is on my external HDD connected via USB. as I said it is an internal drive in a case,if that makes a difference. It wrote the image, it sees the image but does not want to restore the image. any other suggestions. Thanks

I won't pretend to understand the problem, badger. I'd expect, like you, that backing up an Image from a USB drive would be a simple matter. In your place I think I would create another partition on my C drive , copy the fresh Image from the H drive to there and then attempt to replace the corrupt OS with it. At the very least it would remove the H drive from the equation.

Edit: Afterthought. Did you close all running programmes before attempting to restore ? I would close everything except Windows Explorer and Systray before firing Drive Image up.