Lost "save as" function

xoc

Yep !!Thanks.

Have win98-2e and have used this function for years, until suddenly,

it dissapeared!!

Am at a loss as to why or how, but have tried everything including re loading IE6.1, and re loading win98-2e, all to no avail.

Is there a keyboard stroke combination which could be used?

xoc

I don't understand what has happened here but I replied to both Ellas and Mark2 last night, yet the replies don't show today ! maybe a New Year glitch!

Anyway to repeat

My thanks to Ellas for the link re Keyboard,

and to reply to Mark2 that I use this lost function to enable me to specify where I want to save a download of midi files to a music editing programme.

I can download these files at moment but they go directly to my Win Med Player and will play back, whereas I want them to go to my Cakewalk programme where I can edit up to 16 tracks.

I been in touch with the Midi archive provider and have determined that they have not changed their system, so it can only be in a lost dll or something similar inmy system.

Finally Happy New Year to all.

xoc

Most of the links that Google turned up related to M$ problems in office and the like, hopefully someone else may havve an answer lurking in the back of their mind for your problem, maybe disable win med as default file association for midi files?

Thanks Mark.

Have already tried Google and Copernic to no avail.

Have also sacked Win Med Player as primary music player, but have not found the elusive"save as" right click function.

Hopefully someonewill come up with a solution.

Two things to begin with;

1. Have you run a full system scan with antivirus software to eliminate that as a possible cause ?

2. Have you checked to see if anything (or anyone) may have altered your registry settings ?

In your registry, the following key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\M****soft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions is where you can disable a whole load of things, incluing the right click, save as option.

Note that reinstalling Windows over the top of an existing installation often preserves your registry settings.

The registry key may vary on a 98SE machine. I've not fooled with 98 for a while now, but if need be I can check up on it for you. It will propbably be quicker to check yourself though.

Regards

Taran

Thanks Maran,

1.Yes, have done complete scan with latest sofware.

2. Following your regedit path

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\M****soft\

InternetExplorer\Restrictions

I'm afraid Reg must be different on W 982e as I get to M****soft\and that throws up "system certificates" only but no "IE\restrictions"

Would appreciate if you could run it and let me know if you get the same result.

Have already tried re installing both IE 6 and Win 982e with no improvement.

Thanks again

xoc

If the Restrictions registry key holds nothing of relevance then it means your registry hasn't been altered by another product in the way I thought it might have been. It's a trick commonly employed by network managers on NT, 2000 and XP machines.

you could try and manually create the necessary registry key, but be advised that this is for saving files from within Internet Explorer; it won't affect problems saving from other program windows.

Registry Settings are as follows:

User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\M****soft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions]

System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\M****soft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions]

Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)

Value Data: (0 = disable restriction, 1 = enable restriction)

You need to go to the above key and you can alter any one of the following items:

AlwaysPromptWhenDownload - Always prompt user when downloading files.

NoBrowserBars - Disable changes to browsers bars.

NoBrowserClose - Disable the option of closing Internet Explorer.

NoBrowserContextMenu - Disable right-click context menu.

NoBrowserOptions - Disable the Tools > Internet Options menu.

NoBrowserSaveAs - Disable the ability to Save As.

NoFavorites - Disable the Favorites.

NoFileNew - Disable the File > New command.

NoFileOpen - Disable the File > Open command.

NoFindFiles - Disable the Find Files command.

NoNavButtons - Disables the Forward and Back navigation buttons

NoOpeninNewWnd - Disable Open in New Window option.

NoPrinting - Remove Print and Print Preview from the File menu.

NoSelectDownloadDir - Disable the option of selecting a download directory.

NoTheaterMode - Disable the Full Screen view option.

NoViewSource - Disable the ability to view the page source HTML.

RestGoMenu - Remove Mail and News menu item.

To do this you create a new DWORD value based on the options listed above and set the new value to "1" to enable the restriction or "0" to disable the restriction. you may find that setting the restriction in place and then unrestricting it opens things up once more. Unlikely as it sounds it has worked before.

If the worst comes to the worst, you can always just format and start again from scracth...

:o)

The quick way here is to open up regedit and run a search for the NoBrowserSaveAs entry. If you can find it, alter it accordingly; if not try and create then unrestrict it. Again, these are all tricks network managers employ to stop you having as much fun on your work PC as you might.

Obviously, do a full backup and export your registry before messing around with it.

Good luck

Taran