Speeding up internet browsing

scuzzman

will this ttechinique work for vista home premium too?? I wanted to set this up on my laptop. any advice is appreciated

It will, but, you have to be logged on as an ADMINISTRATOR class user to apply a new custom HOSTS file in VISTA...

:)

APK

NOTE TO MODERATORS: PLEASE "BLOW OUT/ERASE" my post above this one... your time period expiry on edits did not allow me to post information the readers here MAY find useful (thanks)...

Done doug.

"Onwards & Upwards" (or, lol, rather 'downwards' now... read on!)

never really thought about this but it makes sense. this should reduce DNS lookups.

It will!

HOWEVER?

ONLY if you 'hardcode' the IP-to-URL equation of your favorite website(s) into your HOSTS file!

E.G.-> Having an entry like this (for this website, as an example) inside of your HOSTS file, correctly IP-to-URL address resolved does so... & you CAN test this easily enough, mind you!

That's done via a simple PING test (I think I noted this above here earlier to Pat W. & crew, as a test they could try & see I am correct here on this note)!

See - Typically, calls to your DNS server of choice will yield up 60ms (OR, more) roundtrip returns for the URL to be resolved to its IP Address... Conversely, by doing so from a custom HOSTS file entry of a fav. site of yours, with the IP-to-URL equation contained in said HOSTS file, will show MUCH faster return speeds (like 0ms, & really only ns loadtimes out of local DNS cache, once the HOSTS file is loaded into your local DNS cache... which operates @ the speed of your system memory. However, calling out to your local HDD even, say with 4-8ms access/seek speeds? STILL faster than calling out to a DNS server, with a minimum roundtrip of 60ms or so returns...).

THAT'S A 15-to-60 FOLD ORDER OF SPEED INCREASE, @ THE MINIMUM... many "orders of magnitude", period!

AND? Hey - mine's even faster, because I get mine from storing my HOSTS file on a CENATEK "RocketDrive" (true SSD, not flash based stuff):

img_rocketdrive_large.jpg

This unit has ns levels of speed, memory speed, vs. hdd mechanical far slower accesses. I moved my HOSTS file's location from C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc (std. location on Windows) to my SSD, via changing the DataBasePath parameter (left-hand side panel in REGEDIT.EXE), here (right-hand side path thru REGEDIT.EXE below):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

HOWEVER - IF YOU DON'T HARDCODE THESE ADDRESSES OF YOUR FAVORITE WEBSITES INTO YOUR LOCAL CUSTOM HOSTS FILE, & DISABLE THE LOCAL DNSCACHE CLIENT? You can, conversely, increase the amount of DNS queries you do, per this article from MS:

How to Disable Client-Side DNS Caching in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318803

SALIENT QUOTE:

----

"Note The overall performance of the client computer decreases and the network traffic for DNS queries increases if the DNS resolver cache is deactivated.

----

HOWEVER?

The HOSTS file you create & modify, storing your favorite websites (correctly PING resolved for their IP-to-URL equation) there, omits the need to call out to a DNS server! Especially IF you "rearrange" the priority order of DNS lookup via the reghack I posted here earlier, &/or in the security guide I did here also (see URL below, or, just reposting it again, from the page in THIS thread, previous to this one):

----

HOW TO CHANGE NAME RESOLUTION ORDER ON Windows 9x - VISTA

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/139270/EN-US

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\ServiceProvider]

"DnsPriority"=dword:00000032

"HostsPriority"=dword:00000010

"LocalPriority"=dword:00000005

"NetbtPriority"=dword:00000064

(LOWER NUMBERS HERE = GREATER PRIORITY)

As you can see, I give my LOCAL DNS Cache the greatest priority (because it has my HOSTS file loaded into it @ system startup (IP stack startup, actually)), & THEN, my custom adbanner blocking/speedup fav sites (which this post is showing folks how to do, & yes, it works) is next, & then my ISP/BSP's DNS servers, & lastly NetBios/WINS stuff (which I just plain do NOT use, because I have no LanManager style network running here, ONLY Tcp/IP)... anyhow, there 'tis, hope you all understand, use, & LIKE this one, because... "it just works!" for greater speed, AND SECURITY, online today (especially today in the "era of the poisoned DNS server & malicious adbanner")

----

(Nowadays, depending on A DNS Server (yes, even OpenDNS), mind you, MIGHT be compromised - this is NO joke, it has been happening a lot lately... BIND has problems, & BIND is the system DNS uses typically)

Dan Kaminski's work this year showed this much & sent MS + all other OS vendors into a "panic" regarding this, patching their DNS server components... & ONLY YIELDING A PARTIAL FIX, mind you, to the BIND system itself no less & STILL not completely safe either...

(... & this is WHY the U.S. Gov't. has started implementing DNSSEC on their servers, for say, folks looking to file taxes remotely to the IRS for instance)

Your local HDD (very fast today, @ 7,200rpm & on faster disks, 10k-15k rpm, & 4-7ns access/seek speeds) & DNS Cache (memory speed) are far faster than a 60ms roundtrip call to a DNS server that MIGHT be compromised anyhow, unfortunately.

----

YES - It's a LOT to "Drink in & Digest", I know, but you can test this yourselves, & see... & not only that? BUT, also FEEL (human perceptions-wise no less, not just some benchmark saying that to you in ns speed diff.s you can really perceive). Proof? Well, here is someone that did so, @ another website after trying this & here was his findings:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=27...p;postcount=108

SALIENT QUOTE:

----

"Ty for that. And for the speed and security registry files you emailed to me, theres alot of things i didn't know windows could do, and my internet does seem snappier. Only prob i have is when i start windows, even though the internet is connected is takes about 10-15 secs for any application using the internet to connect for some odd reason, but after everything works well. Not sure if that is how it works. But overall an excellent guide."

----

I also gave him the solution to that small "lag" of the HOSTS file loading into memory there also (& some workarounds, some making the IP stack load FULLY prior to boot, as it did in Windows 2000 & below, others sort of "hokey" in using a PING batch file to fire up the IP stack fully (because in Windows XP/Server2003/VISTA it does not... this yields a faster boottime (stolen idea by MS from Apple no less) but, it's just an illusion... because your IP stack only fires up fully, once you make a call to the internet anyhow... then, it's FULLY operational, & then only, in modern versions of Windows!)

AND, that guide he recommends? Same as the one here, in the URL below, in my P.S. below... & it JUST WORKS (for both security AND speed, online).

APK

P.S.=> Between hardcoding your favs. into your HOSTS file, AND blocking out possibly bushwhacked adbanner servers addresses (plenty of this lunacy has been happening the past few years now no less mind you) via either 127.0.0.1 (largest & slowest), 0.0.0.0 (next largest, but faster because smaller), OR plain 0 (smallest & fastest for blockouts)? You gain a LOT of speed online, by not loading adbanners from adbanner servers calling out to their data & streaming it in + processing it, AND by hardcoding your fav. sites into a HOSTS file for yet more speed to them (this may need occasional maintenance though, as sites shop for diff. servers sometimes & change due to savings possible by changing HOSTING providers... but, thankfully, it's usually rare)... and safety results by blocking out 'bad sites' too, I noted that here & where to get that kind of information:

HOW TO SECURE Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 & even VISTA, + make it "fun-to-do", via CIS Tool Guidance (& more):

http://forums.windowsforum.org/index.php?showtopic=33716

AND, the places online (such as Dancho Danchev's security blog, StopBadware.org (GOOGLE really), ShadowServer Foundation, Spybot S&D's "immunize" feature & more) where to get lists of bogus servers &/or bogus adbanners servers etc. et al, also... so YOU TOO, can gain this type of speed gain, AND security gain as well online, today (especially today, in the era of the poisoned adbanner or bad sites, as well as possibly compromised DNS servers (OpenDNS are fast, & known to be pretty safe... but, DNSSEC is the way, imo... that, & IPv6, eventually)... apk

great post :drinks: it is really a helpful information. keep posting such infos.

Good, glad you enjoyed it... this "know-how/knowledge" is USUALLY only the "province of GEEKS" etc. et al, but you can master & use it yourself, fairly easily... &, it helps YOU gain understanding in HOW this "madness-N-lunacy" all works (to some extent @ least).

* It is, GREAT stuff... &, more importantly, it just works (for BOTH speed & security online, today (especially today, in this era of compromised websites, DNS servers, & even adbanners code))

APK

Doug/JC:

Sent you that material (custom HOSTS file (dated 10/16/2008), with notation @ its termination/ending, as regards WHERE & HOW I get the source material from it (reputable security sites like Dancho Danchev's security blog, Stopbadware.org, Shadowserver, & Spybot S&D)... PLUS, the .reg files to merge into your system, for security + speedup of Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003))

I later sent you another update to the original HOSTS file I sent as well (removed a few erroneous entries (incomplete URLS) + some duplicates, via the program I noted in this thread, & it is fully alphabetized as well, for easier maintenance for you, via notepad.exe)

* Enjoy!

APK

• 3 weeks later...

>APK haven't gone any further because I was starting to diagnose problems with my internet connection. Anyway those very kind people at TalkTalk sent me a new router (HG520s) for test purposes and my D/L speeds have doubled - clocking 4 MB. At present am concentrating on getting a consistent profile. May get back to this in the near future. Don't want to have too many variables changing at once.

>APK haven't gone any further because I was starting to diagnose problems with my internet connection. Anyway those very kind people at TalkTalk sent me a new router (HG520s) for test purposes and my D/L speeds have doubled - clocking 4 MB. At present am concentrating on getting a consistent profile. May get back to this in the near future. Don't want to have too many variables changing at once.

Then, you're actually doing the RIGHT thing:

Taking it slow, doing it right!

( & my guess is you'll wind up with a really nice setup... just by being patient, & examining all the things I pointed out &/or sent you, @ your request, & applying them - HOWEVER, ONLY once you understand them (& do look @ the ones with the internal documentation in the .reg files I sent for instance, + the HOSTS file too, as well as documentation in my guide here + OTHER sources too, to verify their settings etc. et al - it's always advisable to do so, so YOU understand them, yourself)).

Good luck, & it's nice to see you've bought a piece of equipment that "really rocks" also... that's always nice!

APK

P.S.=> Other than that? Nice speaking to you & always good to see others willing to try & do "new things" etc. too! apk

>APK, didn't buy it I said those nice people at TalkTalk,sent it for test purposes then said I can keep it!

Yes, you did... my bad, in MY not "taking my time" today (juggling a few bowling balls here today, online, lol... & it's affecting my reading is all). Multitasking - nothing ever gets done right! Still? It's the "thought that counts", & I am glad you lucked out as you have... that is ALWAYS, quite cool!

APK

P.S.=> In any event? In addition to the materials you requested from me?? DO take a peek @ this here on this site, IF you have not, already:

----

HOW TO SECURE Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 & even VISTA, + make it "fun-to-do", via CIS Tool Guidance (&, beyond, for "layered security"):

http://forums.windowsforum.org/index.php?showtopic=33716

----

1-2 hrs. of your time, for years of secure uptime, into the distance - in essence? Your "Iron Man Armor Online" really... &, it really works, where today's "security suites" do not... see these evidences, thereof:

----

Top security suites fail exploit tests (COMPUTERWORLD):

http://www.computerworld.com/action/articl...rc=news_ts_head

&/or

Top security suites fail exploit tests (SECUNIA):

http://secunia.com/blog/29/

----

They're failing, especially vs. current threats (that any site like SECURITYFOCUS.COM &/or SECUNIA.COM for example, can show you)... that guide even shows you evidences of folks that applied its points, & have remained virus/trojan/spyware/malware in general FREE, for months now on end, since applying it... apk