Empire Direct

Craig

I ordered a Braun Shaver from Empire Direct on 04/12/02.

I rang them up friday 20/12/02 to see where it was, they replied that Braun were sending it direct from their warehouse and it 'should' be with me on monday 23/12/02.

It didn't come and now, thursday 02/01/03 i still have not recieved.

I rang them this morning on their after sales telephone number (which i used when i first rang them) and they said they cant help me, and they gave me the phone number people use to place orders via the telephone and a different order number.

I have have just spent twenty minutes on the phone making two phone calls, as when i get through to them i quote the order number, they say the will pass me to someone else, put me on hold, then i get cut off.

Has anyone else had a problem like this with empire direct?

Craig.

P.S - I am not very happy, and i need a shave!

I forgot to add,

they prefer people to send them emails instead of phoning.

I sent them an email a few days before i first rang them, and i'm still awaiting a reply.

I sent them another email just after posting this topic asking them to contact me as they kept hanging up when i rang.

Craig.

I dealt with them when I was purchasing a large screen TV and like you I had delivery problems (it took about 6 weeks after I had ordered it despite their site saying it was in stock) and yes, their customer service telephone line is awful, often you are kept holding on for 30-40 mins, I had to phone them on numerous occasions and only rarely were any phone calls returned if the person who was dealing with my order was unavailable, to give them their due, they did offer to refund my money, but as it worked out about £700 cheaper to buy from them rather than my local Currys and I wasn't in a particular hurry for it I persevered and I eventually received the TV in good working order with the £50 delivery charge refunded.

The explanation they gave me why it took so long for it to be delivered was, seemingly they ordered 8 of them for customers and every one of them were delivered smashed to their warehouseand also the guy who had taken my order was on 2 weeks leave.

Would I order from them again? only if I was making a massive saving as I was this time and if I wasn't in a hurry for the product

No it was a Rear projector, Curry's wanted £2400, Empire was just under £1700 for exact same model, I couldn't believe it at the time either. I had actually ordered it and paid a substantial deposit to Currys before I found out Empire did it at this price, but Currys also let me down with delivery dates and this enabled me to cancel and order from Empire

Guest Cookie

About 6 days before Christmas I ordered extra memory for my mates digital camera, from Empire Direct, and it arrived within 2 days. That came direct from the manufacturer. Maybe the fault lies with the manufacturers.

I try not to buy on-line when a serious sum of money is involved. I like to be looking someone in the eyes for anything (say) over £150. I like to pick the item up, bring it home, and if there's something wrong -- take it back.

I realise that you cannot make financial savings this way but it does help keep my blood pressure down. There is nothing worse than being messed about on the phone ---- look at Craig's example, and then getting cut off. I have steam coming out of my ears when that happens.

As Craig knows though, just b4 Xmas I did buy some base units on-line and saved a considerable amount of money but, yes, things didn't go quite right. Never again will I buy "at a distance" other than relatively low value items.

Update

I rang up Empire Direct earlier on today and they managed to put me though to the person who was dealing with my order.

After a little silence, the person on the end of the phone said "can i be honest with you Craig?", I replied yes, and he said "I would much rather I cancel the order for you as we have had no delivery date from Braun at all, and this will save you time and money ringing us up to track the order".

So the order has now been cancelled, and a refund should be shown on the credit card by tomorrow morning.

Nevermind, I'll have to find somewhere else to get my Christmas present from (the high street i think!).

Craig.