SimplyMepis 3.3

Redhat

Just installed this on the Dell Inspiron laptop so I thought I'd post :D

SimplyMepis 3.3 has just been released. It is a Linux distribution ("distro") and initially runs from the disk. You then have the option to install it if you like it, or not. Up to you.

As with most Linux distros, it is free in cost. And also in the other way, but we won't go into that :P It is also based on Debian.

The first thing you notice with something like this is it's look. Is it visually appealing? Well, I suppose for some people it looks "excellent" but in my opinion the look is "bareable and ok". The main theme colour is blue.

The amount of software installed is great in number, some though, wouldn't like this. You don't get the chance to customise what is installed, so if you like to keep your system with limited software installed, go for something like Ubuntu or if you're feeling adventurous (like I normally am and go for this option..) Gentoo.

As with most debian (infact, I think all) based distros there is apt-get for installing packages of software. There is also a GUI Front-end called Synaptics. Both are simple to use for installing, removing or updating software.

For laptop users, the WLAN and battery aspects of this distro seem great. All I had to do was enter the WEP key (I wasn't going to fiddle around with an app called wpa_supplicant to get my usual WPA-AES working) and I was connected. The broadcom chipset in the WNIC was autodetected with the built-in ndiswrapper modules that are loaded apon boot.

Sound was autodetected also. As were screen adjustments.

Firefox is installed by default, so is the Outlook-like "Kontact". Oh, by the way, Mepis is a KDE distribution. If you like gnome, I again suggest Ubuntu.

I may add some more as I go along with this distro, but for the moment, it stays on the laptop!

Nicely done - I intend to give Mepis a shot once I get a CD Burner (wouldn't knwo how to go about installing it using the kernel loopback device since it is a Live CD.

Oh yeah me to :blink:

It's like the easiest thang in the world to install.

If redhat can do it then anyone can :P