Question for the Experts

I have a question for a Linux expert...

I am going to try my new Ubuntu Linux Live CD this weekend and I have Juno dial-up for my ISP

Juno says it can be set up with Lindows. I went to the site and downloaded a copy. It says its for Debian and I think the Ubuntu is based on Debian so I'm hoping it will work.

The question is this..

The download was too big to put on a floppy so I had to save it to a CD.. The Ubuntu is also on a CD. I only have one CD drive. How do I set up the ISP?

Can I remove the Live CD once the OS is started and then use the other CD to install the Juno?

Or is it even possible to do this????

Thanks for any Help anyone can provide :flowers:

Whilst using your "Live" CD version of Linux, you should still be able to mount and read your hard disc. Most Live versions will only mount the hdd's as read only, so you should be able to save the files on your hard disc, and read/use them from there when Linux is running.

Ah yeah, if they arn't mounted automatically, the commands are:

mkdir /mnt/windows

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows

then browse to /mnt/windows. hda1 will change according to your setup. To find out the setup of your system:

fdisk /dev/hda

v

q

:)

Not sure I understand.

So copy the setup files for Linux from Juno for my ISP to my hard drive then boot from the linux cd then find the Juno Linux files on the hard drive and set up that way?

Did I get that correct?

Or do you mean I'll be using Linux as the OS but connecting to the Internet through Windows as I do now??

Sorry I'm not very saavy with this sort of thing :blush:

Redhat I was typing the above while you were replying..

are those commands something I do while Linux is loading ?

I really don't have a clue what I'm doing

Your first guess was correct. Boot into Linux, and then find the files on your hdd and use them to set up and configure your connection in Linux.

The commands that redhat posted would be used once Linux is up and running, in order to mount the required drive partition. However in reality, you may find you can right click on your desktop and create a new "short cut" which you can point straight to your hdd.