GRAPHICS CARD

My Girlfriend went into a well known computer store (lets not guess the name) yesterday to buy me a surprise graphics card as a present. The story goes like this

G/F: Hi I would like to buy a graphics card for my Fiancé computer

Computer store advisor: do you know what type he would like?

G/F: He has been talking about a Card with 64mbDDR

Computer store advisor: ok this one will probably be the best for him.

The store advisor then pulled out a PCI card with the specifications(FOR THE COMPUTER) my G/F had asked for!

G/F: This will definitely work with his computer?

Computer store advisor: Yes PCI will work with anything and it will improve the performance of his PC, do you know the specifications?

G/F: I think he’s got an AMD2200XP with ddr ram or something

Computer store advisor: Do you know what motherboard he has?

G/F: Yes it’s an Asus

Computer store advisor: how old is it

G/F: 2 months old

Computer store advisor: Oh yes that will definitely work in his machine.

My G/F then accordingly bought the card and came home to surprise me

I then tried to install the card with the help of ELLAS and PAUL; I tried disabling AGP in BIOS etc etc. However, I noticed that the computer had got slower. Ellas advised that he thinks the motherboard does not support the PCI graphics card.

So today I went back to the store and had a little chat with the advisor and this is how our little chat went

Madboy33: Hi there my G/F came in yesterday and you sold her this PCI Graphics card.

Computer store advisor: Well sir I don’t think it was me personally.

Madboy33: No I did not mean you literally I meant the store.

Computer store advisor: Oh ok, what seems to be the problem.

Madboy33: well I have tried to install the PCI card and it seems to slow the system down.

Computer store advisor: well it shouldn’t do that what are your specs?

I accordingly told him my system specifications.

Computer store advisor: have you updated the BIOS?

Madboy33: yes I have flashed the BIOS as soon as I got the computer.

Computer store advisor: well that could be the problem then, I would suggest you “roll back the BIOS”

Madboy33: Hold on if I had said “no I had not flashed the BIOS”, then you would have said that could be the problem and you would recommend that I Flash it

At this point the Computer store advisor went a Shade of red with embarrassment.

Madboy33: I thinks it’s the motherboard not accepting the PCI Graphics card.

Computer store advisor: Well I would not think its that, as I have never heard of a card never being accepted!

Madboy33: so you have never heard of a Card conflict in a machine then, nor have you heard of a driver conflict? If this is the case then I think I had better speak to someone who knows what they are talking about.

Once again the Computer Store Advisor went let’s just say crimson with embarrassment.

Computer store advisor: Unfortunately sir, the box has been opened and we can not give a refund!

At this stage, lets just say I was getting a little more than hot under the collar

Madboy33: Yourselves advised that this card would work in any machine and this is not the case, in view of this I would like to have a refund on this and buy an AGP Graphics card.

Computer store advisor: I don’t think we can do that as our policy is not to give refunds on opened products.

After lets just say a heated discussion and the manager getting involved and the Manager accepting that some Motherboards do not accept PCI Graphics cards he gave me a refund on the PCI card and gave me 25% off the new AGP card

The moral of the story here is persist in telling an advisor that the product does not work correctly and in the end persistence will pay off

The dicussion took about 1 hour and obviosly i have edited a lot

madboy33

Computer store advisor: have you updated the BIOS?

Madboy33: yes I have flashed the BIOS as soon as I got the computer.

Computer store advisor: well that could be the problem then, I would suggest you “roll back the BIOS”

Madboy33: Hold on if I had said “no I had not flashed the BIOS”, then you would have said that could be the problem and you would recommend that I Flash it

At this point the Computer store advisor went a Shade of red with embarrassment.

Quailty :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad its sorted now ;)

I have gone in PC World many times, not once have i attempted to speak to a sales person as i know they know nothing about computers!

I dont know when this new 'no full refund on opened products' policy came in, but at the beginning of the year i tried out three TV cards, took the first two back and swapped them, and on the third attempt i got a full refund. I even told them the product worked but it was *beep*!

They have a Kodak digi cam on sale via the website at the moment, but tomorrow i may pop into my local store just to have a fiddle with it, at no point will i ask for assistance!

If I'm feeling bored - I go into the local one, pick out an assistant, say to them " tell me about this machine" and then listen to them repeating what is on the display card for me.

I then say very politely "I can read, thank you very much" and ask them something I know they can't answer such as the monitor's optimum refresh rate or the H/D buffer size, or its Average Seek time in ms.

It's really amusing to watch them get flustered. I think I've won the game if they go and get someone else to come and "help" me. :D

If I'm feeling bored - I go into the local one, pick out an assistant, say to them " tell me about this machine" and then listen to them repeating what is on the display card for me.

I then say very politely "I can read,  thank you very much" and ask them something I know they can't answer such as the monitor's optimum refresh rate or the H/D buffer size, or its Average Seek time in ms. 

It's really amusing to watch them get flustered.  I think I've won the game if they go and get someone else to come and "help" me.  :D

I like that very much, may give it a go tomorrow!

I like that very much, may give it a go tomorrow!

If you try it in the Eastern Avenue one - you may get some strange looks ?

I did it 3 times there over the weekend on different days/members of staff. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guest Nellie2

I know someone who works in one of those shops.......he was on the same 'how to build a computer' course as me about 18 months ago.........!! Says it all really

I probably shouldn't admit to this, but my favorite trick (especially back in the days of win98), was to take a snapshot of the desktop, set it as the wallpaper then remove all the icons. Next you quickly edit the registry and remove the taskbar and start button, et viola hours of amusement as one by one all the staff admit defeat and remove their pc's as faulty. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mr. M.

Guest Nellie2
You mean that there is one member of staff in one of their shops who is as well trained in PC's as you !

(I don't believe it !)

Har de har har Boris!!

You read any post of mine where I try and help someone out and I am the first to admit that I don't know much.........just know a lot of long words thats all!!! :lol:

Guest ellas

I have to say this madboy but want the hell were you doing sending your girlfriend for a graphics card,did she say I'm away shopping and did you say can you pick me a graphics card up love when you go past the computer shop :lol: :lol: :lol: