My QuickLaunch Wireless Icon

OJW

Hi, I use an NEC laptop with wireless built in and find that the icon in the quick launch tray often, though not always, indicates that I'm not connected to my wireless home network when in fact I am. If I click on it a screen appears saying 'not connected' on the top right, but at the bottom it explains that I AM connected to my encrypted wireless network.

I can't understand how even ONE WINDOW can seemingly completely contradict itself!

Any ideas anyone?

OJW

My system does the same. The "prime" computer often tells me that the Wireless Network Connection is "Not Connected" but the wireless network is happily being used by someone downstairs.

It's not something I've bothered about before but, if anyone has an answer, I would be interested :)

Disable Wireless Zero Configuration service?

I do not have a wireless network, or wireless devices so I cannot test this.

I have heard of windows zero config conflicting with the applications a wireless router or nic card installs.

Start > Run > services.msc

at the very bottom, stop and disable Wireless Zero Configuration, if it does not work, simply set it back to automatic and all should be back to normal.

Thanks, I did this and straight away the icon in the tray changed to indicate a good connection. I'm now hoping this will address another issue of the machine sometimes not picking-up on the wireless network at all until it felt like it - despite excellent signal strength

I will monitor it for a few days

Thanks again