Windows Mobile 5 question info ...

awake

This may not be the best place to post this as I'm sure there's dedicated forums, but anyway ...

I'm trying to gather some info on Windows Mobile 5 on PDA's & smartphones. There's a patch / upgrade that will (hopefully !) be available before long called 'Messaging and Security feature pack for windows mobile 5'.

Amongst other things, it enables push-email on windows mobile 5 devices from exchange 2003 SP2.

The feature pack is supposed to be available 1st quarter 2006 and I've heard rumours of march release though I suspect mobile operators are already testing it.

Big question is whether or not the OS on the device can be upgraded to include the forthcoming feature pack or if it'll only be available on newly bought devices.

If there's anyone who has info on this I'd be grateful for it.

Many thanks in advance ...

Thanks for the reply though I've already seen that site along with a ream of others !

I've since found out a little more.

The release of the messaging and security feature pack which will allow true push email to pda's running Windows mobile 5 (talking to exchange) has been put back to 2nd quarter 2006. But, good news is that the update can be applied to existing devices, though only available via OEM's & manufacturers.

Plus you can get something close to push email (a la blackberry) now by setting outlook on the pda to sync remotely with exchange every 5mins (does anyone need email quicker than 5 mins !?).

Only drawback is that you can't view public folders with this method. Though this can be achieved using OWA and any PC browser, there are software plugins that run on the exchange server than 'trim down' the OWA data to be viewed on mobiles using a gprs browser. This works well and is quite usable.

So, I'm happy cos finally there's something that'll kill off blackberry's monopoly over the mobile email market.