Power save settings.

andsome

In Display properties, I have NO screen saver set, and have the power set to turn the monitor off after five minutes. Sometimes this happens, but frequently it doesn't. It is an annoying little problem that I would like to correct if possible. I have tried changing things by setting a screensaver as well as Power off, but again, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

It will only turn off the the monitor if the computer is idle for more than 5 minutes.

It sounds as though you have something working in the background. Perhaps a defragmenter, or an indexing service such as Google Desktop?

You should also turn off the hard disk when not in use, to prevent it from crashing.

It has been working since I did a Boot time defrag. I once tried setting the hard drive to hibernate, but when I wanted to use the computer again I had to press the start button. Is there any point in this, might I just as well turn the computer off altogether?

What would be your recommendations regarding monitor off, hard disks off, standby, hibernate etc?

The way I have it set, on my laptop mind you, is:

ON AC POWER

Turn off monitor after 15 minutes

Turn off Hard Drive after 15 minutes

System Standby never

ON BATTERY

Turn off monitor after 5 minutes

Turn off Hard Drive after 5 minutes

System Standby after 30 minutes

Also, I have disabled Hibernate, as I find it does crash the computer quite often. I find that standby does the job of low power consumption, as the monitor is usually the culprit for high power consumption. Especially an LCD monitor.