Memory Mess

My computer has 512MB ram (2X256) and I bought 512MB more(2X256). I have the slots, and the memory is the right kind (PC3200), but for some reason it will not boot. It turns on, but the monitor remains blank, and the "Fan Test" never ends! So now when I turn on my computer, it sounds like a leaf blower and doesn't work! Is this some sort of memory conflict with the old and new memory? I have returned the memory twice and gotten different brands, but this has not helped.(Kingston, Patriot) The memory I have now is PQI and it works for about 2 minutes, then my computer restarts with no warning. (Heat problem maybe?) The PQI has heatspreaders on it, and could that be causing the other memory to overheat? When it is all in there, there is about 7mm between the memory DIMMS. Please Help!

You are probably not using compatible memory.

1. Does the PC work with the old memory only.

2. Does the PC work with the new memory only.

3. Are the two different memory sticks the same manufacturer/timmings/size If not, you may have problems.

I'd suggest taking your new memory back and buying compatible memory.

You will need to check with both your motherboard and current memory manufacturers for the compatiblity checklist.

You are probably not using compatible memory.

1. Does the PC work with the old memory only.

2. Does the PC work with the new memory only.

3. Are the two different memory sticks the same manufacturer/timmings/size If not, you may have problems.

I'd suggest taking your new memory back and buying compatible memory.

You will need to check with both your motherboard and current memory manufacturers for the compatiblity checklist.

Yes it does work with the old memory only, and it works with the new memory only. They are not the same manufacturer, but are both PC3200 and are both 333MHZ 256MB. I have taken the memory back and returned it for another brand twice and still had the same problem.

PC3200 memory runs at 400mhz not 333mhz, although they are supposed to be backward compatable.

If you are mixing pc2700 & pc3200 memory, in theory it should all run at 333mhz but in practice it can cause problems.

Well the standard memory is PC3200, so that's what I bought, and it works fine with just the old, or just the new.