25 Warnings

mconnors

Hi, Recently a friend of mine got a new laptop running xp home. It started to have problems and I looked at it and could not solve them so I reinstalled windows and it worked perfectly again for a month, now the same problem has re-appeared. The problem is that it is taking maybe 10 minutes to startup and when it runs it is jumpy which is very noticable while playing music or a dvd. I ran antivir which returned 25 warnings but no virai. All the warnings are related to not being able to open files which I believe are related to profiles and security. I know that sometimes they are locked when in use by the system but it didnt produce these warnings on previous runs. The files are as follows:

ntuser.dat

usrClass.dat

usrClass.dat.log

catroot2\edb.log

tmp.edb

default.log

sam

sam.log

security

security.log

software

software.log

system

system.log

In some cases there are multiple instances of the files. I would really appreciate if someone could help because there seems to be little point in re-installing windows again. regards,

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite sure what is going on here.. yet, I will need to know a little more about the computer and what it's running. I would be grateful if you could post me a hijackthis log. But before you do that can you run a couple of scans for me

1. Ewido Trojan Scanner

Please download, install, and update the NEW free version of Ewido trojan scanner:

1. When installing, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu".
  2. When you run ewido for the first time, you may get a warning "Database could not be found!". Click OK. We will fix this in a moment.
  3. From the main ewido screen, click on update in the left menu, then click the Start update button.
  4. After the update finishes (the status bar at the bottom will display "Update successful")
  5. Click on the Scanner button in the left menu, then click on Complete System Scan. This scan can take quite a while to run.
  6. If ewido finds anything, it will pop up a notification. Select "clean" and check the boxes "Perform action with all infections" and "Create encrypted backup" before clicking on OK.
  7. When the scan finishes, click on "Save Report". This will create a text file. Make sure you know where to find this file again.

2. Please go to Panda Active Scan

Once you are on the Panda site click the Scan your PC button

- A new window will open...click the Check Now button

- Enter your Country

- Enter your State/Province

- Enter your e-mail address and click send

- Select either Home User or Company

- Click the big Scan Now button

- If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it

- It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note: It may take a couple of minutes)

- When download is complete, click on Local Disks to start the scan

- When the scan completes, if anything malicious is detected, click the See Report button, then Save Report and save it to a convenient location.

Reboot

Could you please download hijackthis from here. Extract it into it's own folder, please do not run it from a temporary directory or from the zip file.

Run hijackthis and click the Do system scan and save logfile button, be patient as it may take a little while to complete, but eventually a notepad file with your log will pop up. Please copy and paste the entire contents of that text file as a reply to this thread. Along with the Ewido report and the Panda scan report

Do not fix anything yet as a lot of what hijackthis lists is useful and even essential to the running of your PC.

They all look to me like registry files except for maybe two of them. You may want to try a different anti-virus tool and a good registry scanner. Something like Zonealarms, panda, f-secure, these scan for everything including rootkits. Advanced System Optimizer is a good registry cleaner and it improves your pc performance.