Barclays banks anti-virus deal

Rebel=UK=

Barclays is buying every one of its online banking customers anti-virus software in a bid to improve security.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5019856.stm

Barclays are going to be giving 2 years worth of anti-virus protection through F-Secure. Barclays have bought 1.6 million licences of the Finnish firm's anti-virus program. Barclays is sending letters to all 1.6 million online customers in the UK letting them know about the free software and giving them a code to unlock the program if they download it...... i think ill stick with nod32 tho

Too little, too late, but at least they are doing something to attempt to limit online fraud. Online fraud is a massive problem in this country - far larger than the financial institutions and security companies are willing to admit because they do not want customers to lose confidence in online transactions altogether. But it's high time that something was done to protect the public from online fraud.

I consider myself fairly internet security aware and yet I was a victim of attempted fraud online. And I still don't know how the fraudsters did it. But the financial institution involved seem to want to pretend that everything is OK.

Peter e

Little interest to us, perhaps, but I never cease to be amazed at the number of people with computers who have never heard of computer viruses (or other malware) and, worse, don't seem to care.

I been asked to look at hundreds of machines that "don't work", "are slow" etc., etc. and almost invariably the reason is some form of malware which, with a little bit of care, could have been avoided. Often there are thousands of infections present.

So, this Barclays offer is a good thing in my opinion - not only directly for the users but everyone who has a computer to help prevent malware infections spreading from the computers of people who don't know or don't care.

I hope, though, this is better than a deal made by Lloyds in conjuntion with jungle.com (blast from the past) with a special offer of free McAfee A/V, Steganos Safe, a firewall and several other security programs if you bought items costing over a certain amount using a Lloyds card. The offer turned out to be six months trials of each program and full payment was required if you wished to continue.