Winsock Socket error 10048 socket bind

Current OS WinXP Pro SP2 all hotfixes and patches

Program using: DSLSpeed pc Webhosting 1.0

Im getting this message when I try to run a program which seems to utilize the same port which is already using it "Address already in use". How can I check to see what particular socket this program is trying to use and what seems to be already using it? Then, if it's possible can I un-associate that assignment so the program I want to use can use that socket?

Thanks to all in advance!

You should be able to check that using the Command Prompt. Go to Start -> Run and type

cmd

This should open a black window with something similar to this prompt:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\>

In that window, type this command:

netstat -a

This will show you which programs are currently listening/connected and on which ports. HTH.

Is this the program you mean? http://www.dsl-speed.org/webhosting.htm If it is I'll try to find what for ports it uses but I would think 80, and you may want to upgrade. Netstat utilities won't help because that program can't even bind to a socket to make a connection, therefore nothing would show, but it will tell you what is connected.

This program should show you what exactly is going on with your sockets and where your problem is, I hope it helps.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TdiMon.html

Winsock error #:

Address already in use.

Typically, only one usage of each socket address (protocol/IP address/port) is permitted. This error occurs if an application attempts to bind a socket to an IP address/port that has already been used for an existing socket, or a socket that was not closed properly, or one that is still in the process of closing. For server applications that need to bind multiple sockets to the same port number, consider using setsockopt (SO_REUSEADDR). Client applications usually need not call bind at all— connect chooses an unused port automatically. When bind is called with a wildcard address (involving ADDR_ANY), a WSAEADDRINUSE error could be delayed until the specific address is committed. This could happen with a call to another function later, including connect, listen, WSAConnect, or WSAJoinLeaf.