Win2k vs. XP for me?

Jules

I have a half descent machine using a gigabyte mobo, athlon 2400 xp, at 266 fsb a gig of ram and an ati 9000 pro card. I use photoshop intensively and want to sqeeze every last bit out of the performance as possible. I don't play games or anything else. Just photoshop. I'm currently using XP SP2 pro and have leaned it out as much as possible. Would I be better off sticking with xp or would a switch to win2k be better for processing images in photoshop? Thanks

Hello, and welcome to the Windows Forum!

I am not using Photoshop, so I am unable to directly answer your question. However, may I ask you a few questions back?

• Do you have performance problems under Windows XP?
  • Have you removed all unnecessary start-up programs?
  • Have you removed all unnecessary (hidden) drivers from the Device Manager?
  • Is your virtual memory (page file) large enough?
  • Do you regularly defragment your HD?

My son has fourteen machines loaded with Photoshop and 5 running PaintShopPro on Win XP. He ditched W2K in favour of XP at launch and would definitely not go back.

These graphic programs are not nearly as processor/drive intensive as video processing (which he also does on a professional basis) which is also carried out on some of the same machines.

Are you experiencing problems with your setup? If you are having problems, it is more likely that your hardware is insufficient rather than any inadequacy of any software, including the O/S.