Clarification on Music Copying (UK)

-pops-

Well you learn something everyday !! I was under the wrong impression that this was already the defacto just as long as you owned the original disc ! Im just hoping they dont come around and charge me for breaking the law for the last couple years..... :0 :censored::unsure:

You own the disk (i.e. the piece of plastic) but you don't own the content. The content of the disk is licensed to you under conditions you agree to when you buy and/or play the disk.

Copyright law is extremely complex (designed so to enable lawyers to make even bigger fortunes) but it is unlikely that you, as an individual, would ever be taken to court for contravening the copyright laws in relation to music theft. The record producers are mainly interested in targetting forgers who sell illegal copies of CDs and DVDs - this is very big business.

While I'm on, perhaps I could clarify the position taken by the BBC on recording their output.

The BBC are quite happy for viewers and listeners to record any BBC programme FOR THEIR OWN USE. The term BBC programme is carefully defined as a entertainment output produced by or for the BBC. It does not include commercial films.

Again, is is extremely unlikely that the average person with a VCR or DVD recorder need fear a knock at the door in the middle of the night but it is again useful for keeping at bay the "forgers" who copy items for profit.

The BBC are quite happy for viewers and listeners to record any BBC programme FOR THEIR OWN USE. The term BBC programme is carefully defined as a entertainment output produced by or for the BBC. It does not include commercial films.

Again, is is extremely unlikely that the average person with a VCR or DVD recorder need fear a knock at the door in the middle of the night but it is again useful for keeping at bay the "forgers" who copy items for profit.

I should have thought anyone recording the output of any TV (or radio) staion these days was more likely to have the men in white coats round, and be sectioned under the Metal Health Act.

I was under the impression that the whole Idea of VCR recording was to copy any program that you wished to view at a later date if you were out or watching another channel at that time. IE for home and personal/private use.

As for changing formats of purchased cd/dvd or downloads, I would not buy any of these if I was unable to use them in ALL of my players as I would consider them UNFIT for their purpose. IE allowing me to play them on my own equipment whatever that may be.

Never had any problems with Vinyl, tapes or VCR's.

I was under the impression that the whole Idea of VCR recording was to copy any program that you wished to view at a later date if you were out or watching another channel at that time. IE for home and personal/private use.

I'm sure the BBC are quite aware that recording of any or all of their output is done. Their point is that THEY are happy for THEIR programmes to be recorded but they have no control over the reactions of outside oganisations whose material they broadcast so, if these organisations had a mind to do it, anyone recording this could face the force of the law. As I did try and point out, though, it is not the home user that is being targetted over copyright theft but the commercial exploiter.