What steps should I take to maintain my PC?

dgg9879

I have BitDefender for anti-virus, spysweeper for anti-spyware, ZoneAlarm for a firewall and I recently started

cleaning my DVD with a cleaning disk.

Please tell me what else I should do to maintain my PC.

I am especially concerned about dust buildup inside the case over time. What is the best way of dealing with this?

Some additional software that will help.

SpywareBlaster prevents a lot of spyware ever getting on the system.

CCleaner will clear unwanted temp files and accumulated crud from the hard drive.

The best way of dealing with dust is to make sure that the PC tower isn't positioned directly on carpet, if you haven't got a dedicated workstation, find something to lift it clear of the floor. Then make sure that the vacuum cleaner gets used. In this case prevention is better than cure.

If you do have to open the case, then there are two tools that you need, first a small natural fibre brush ( never ever use nylon, static build up can damage/kill components ) and a can of compressed air, AKA an air brush available from most PC shops. Particularly useful in cleaning the fluff from heatsinks.