Opera 9.01 now out

dadyassa

• 3 weeks later...
Nice1 this is better then FF :P

I had Opera when they used to charge for it...it was lousy then, and, in my opinion, it's still lousy! I want a browser that is stable and functional...something I can USE...not sit there and try to figure it out for 3 or 4 months! That's how it was when I paid for it, and that's how it is today! Their claim of being "The fastest browser on earth", and "very secure" is just a bunch of hogwash.

I tried doing something simple like checking my online bank account...Opera (the mighty Opera) was refused access. Why? Because the bank (BankOfAmerica) won't approve the Opera browser. Do you suppose it's because it's not as secure as Opera would have everyone believe? I had to use the good old Firefox browser to do that difficult job.

I don't mean to sound cynical here, BUT I AM! I hate listening to hype...Opera is one browser to be avoided unless you like to sit their for months diddling with it, and then finding out that financial institutions won't allow you to use it for online banking.

Another software program to avoid is System Mechanic 6 or Pro...both use junk programming, and you're wasting your money on them. Iolo won't refund it either! I honestly don't see how System Mechanic is still around...total garbage programming. Oh, there'll be shills who swear by it...but until you've spent the $40 and wasted 20 or more hours messing with it, calling support and speaking to someone with a foreign accent, you just won't understand that I'm telling you the truth. Suffer the aggravation if that's your thing.

At least Webroot refunded my money for their garbage program called "Window Washer". CCleaner is free and so much better!

tenthman, I can't understand the reasoning behind your outburst.

I've had Opera installed in at least one of my machines for many, many years, I've never paid out one penny (or cent) for it and I've even used Operamail. There has always been a free version. Whether I like it or not is a different matter but I know that there are a lot of users of the software - otherwise it would sink into obscurity.

With System Mechanic, although I don't use it but again, an large number of people do, I notice on the website there is a 30 day free trial of the program - enough time, surely, for you to assess whether the program is for you or not before you part with money. That's the whole idea of time limited free trials - for you (the potential buyer) to assess the program as being suitable for your needs. Lots and lots of software companies have this policy.

In addition, it is always possible to read Internet reviews of just about any program that is available. Even if you don't fully believe them, they will give you an idea of what other people think of a program and whether it is worth having.

Ive had no bother with my banking (Barclays) are anyother site for that matter. I find Opera better for video sites using embeded WMP as with FF if i scrolled down/up it would disappear and i would have to minimize and maximize the browser to get it back on.

Opera 4TW :D

"tenthman, I can't understand the reasoning behind your outburst."

As I mentioned, I'm cynical when it comes to software claims.

"I've had Opera installed in at least one of my machines for many, many years, I've never paid out one penny (or cent) for it and I've even used Operamail. There has always been a free version. Whether I like it or not is a different matter but I know that there are a lot of users of the software - otherwise it would sink into obscurity."

Well, I got it in '98 or '99, and they charged about $30 or $40 for it...I don't recall the exact price. I was so disgusted with the complexity of it that I took it off my computer and went back to IE. I never noticed anything special about it then...and I don't notice anything special about it now; it's still as complicated as ever. Like I said...if you enjoy dibbling and dallying with it, then fine...have at it. But please don't start telling people how fast and secure it is. Firefox is a better browser from my perspective...Opera is crummy! That's my analysis.

"With System Mechanic, although I don't use it but again, an large number of people do, I notice on the website there is a 30 day free trial of the program - enough time, surely, for you to assess whether the program is for you or not before you part with money. That's the whole idea of time limited free trials - for you (the potential buyer) to assess the program as being suitable for your needs. Lots and lots of software companies have this policy."

Here's the deal with System Mechanic. I agree that it was my stupidity that got me into that fiasco. I had been considering it for a number of years...at least 4. I would read the rave reviews from PC Online, Tucows, CNet, ... all those people who I had trusted for some unknown reason. (And who I'll never trust again, I might add!) and basically made my decision to someday buy it. CompUSA had it in their stores. I thought it was quality stuff. All it really is is slick marketing!

It's true I never did any research concerning actual customers using System Mechanic...I never downloaded a trial version...I just went ahead and bought it one day...talk about stupid? I've kicked myself ever since.

As I mentioned in my previous post ... if you don't believe me, get it (the trial version that is) and see for yourself. You know as well as I do that there are differences in the quality of everything we purchase. Their programming is right down there next to junk. I've never ever bought a "utility" before that I had to call customer support because of issues. Never! But I sure did with System Mechanic...I spent over 20 hours messing around with that thing before taking it permanently off my computer.

"In addition, it is always possible to read Internet reviews of just about any program that is available. Even if you don't fully believe them, they will give you an idea of what other people think of a program and whether it is worth having."

You didn't mention Webroot's "WindowWasher" ... at least they gave me back my money.

I might add that all the companies were courteous over the phone...that's not the issue tho...it's the low quality of programming, coupled with premium prices, that I'm ticked off about.

Firefox is the best browser going ... it's fully functional and very intuitive straight off the shelf...and fast? It's faster than greased lightning! Secure? You won't have any security problems with Firefox...the major financial institutions know that ...that's why they accept Firefox as a trusted, secure browser when it comes to online banking. I think a banking institution knows a secure browser when they see one, and rejects those that aren't.

End of rant.

However much you rant about these programs, remember that there are lots of users for each of them (including WindowWasher) and I'm sure the majority of these are very happy with them and will continue to use them. If any of the programs were as rubbish as you infer the makers would either be working very hard on them to get them into an acceptable condition or they would have gone out of business, certainly as far as selling the errant program is concerned. As none of these adverse happenings have occurred, I can only conclude the there is little or nothing wrong with them and the "fault" is with you.

Regarding your views on Opera, you have not presented an analysis as you claim, but an unjustified and unjustifiable condemnation of a web browser that many, many people use and are very happy with. Just because your bankers don't support it is not an invitation for the program to be vilified. As I said in my previous post, I don't use Opera as a norm but I have it installed and at no time have I had to pay for it. As far as I recall there was a free version and a paid for version - I don't remember now what it was that differentiated the two. I didn't have to dibble or dally with it - it worked "out of the box" in the same way that Firefox, Netscape, IE and numerous other web browsers do. Also, I wouldn't even contemplate telling anyone how fast or secure it is because I don't know, any more than I can measure how fast or secure any other web browser is.

Your experiences with System Mechanic can only be attributed to your own lack of judgement. The opportunity was there for you to make your assessment of the product before purchase but, you went ahead and paid for it anyway. Unwise to say the least. As for trying the program myself, no thank you. I think I have sufficient experience with computers to be able to remedy most problems I might come across and if I do get involved in something I am unable to cure then I re-install from a full system backup which I always keep (and keep up to date).

Regarding Firefox, yes, that's the browser I use as a norm but I am always happy to consider other browsers should they come along and show me that they are better.

However much you rant about these programs, remember that there are lots of users for each of them (including WindowWasher) and I'm sure the majority of these are very happy with them and will continue to use them. If any of the programs were as rubbish as you infer the makers would either be working very hard on them to get them into an acceptable condition or they would have gone out of business, certainly as far as selling the errant program is concerned. As none of these adverse happenings have occurred, I can only conclude the there is little or nothing wrong with them and the "fault" is with you.

Regarding your views on Opera, you have not presented an analysis as you claim, but an unjustified and unjustifiable condemnation of a web browser that many, many people use and are very happy with. Just because your bankers don't support it is not an invitation for the program to be vilified. As I said in my previous post, I don't use Opera as a norm but I have it installed and at no time have I had to pay for it. As far as I recall there was a free version and a paid for version - I don't remember now what it was that differentiated the two. I didn't have to dibble or dally with it - it worked "out of the box" in the same way that Firefox, Netscape, IE and numerous other web browsers do. Also, I wouldn't even contemplate telling anyone how fast or secure it is because I don't know, any more than I can measure how fast or secure any other web browser is.

Your experiences with System Mechanic can only be attributed to your own lack of judgement. The opportunity was there for you to make your assessment of the product before purchase but, you went ahead and paid for it anyway. Unwise to say the least. As for trying the program myself, no thank you. I think I have sufficient experience with computers to be able to remedy most problems I might come across and if I do get involved in something I am unable to cure then I re-install from a full system backup which I always keep (and keep up to date).

Regarding Firefox, yes, that's the browser I use as a norm but I am always happy to consider other browsers should they come along and show me that they are better.

Ok...this is the last comment I'm going to make about this.

My "analysis" of Opera 9 consisted of me downloading it, and trying it. How much better of an analysis can there be? My first hand, personal analysis...and that analysis concluded that Opera is a bunch of complicated, misleading hooey! 'Nuff said about Opera. You can keep it!

As far as System Mechanic ... all that program did was re-set my Computer back to Microsoft's original default settings. Once that was done, my readings came in excellent. But all the tweaks I had done along the way were anihilated. What kind of deceptive practice is that? Like PC PitStop...a pile of garbage. But people fall for it over and over again. Cash cows of the digital world.

As far as a company putting out crap and still staying in business goes, I don't know if you have ever heard of an outfit called DXinOne, but they're a perfect example of an internet scam that has survived for a number of years simply because of the huge numbers of naive people coming online each year. DXinOne is a Ponzi con...plain and simple...yet they have their shills trying to convince people otherwise.

If you don't like my "analysis" of Opera or System Mechanic or DXinOne, then you have no regard for first hand experience and knowledge. Go ahead and get all three...have a ball! It'll be your money that you're throwing away. And while you're at it, swing by PC PitStop and get you're computer checked out by "professionals". Bwahahahahaha Bwahahahaha :-)