Free copy of Kasparsky Anti Virus

Belatucadrus

Active Virus Shield ? an AOL branded version of Kasparsky 6 with a few features cut out, perhaps a few too many but that's just my opinion. Here are some user reviews click here

It appears to be a years license, what happens after that is unclear. It may be that you renew FOC or maybe AOL intend to have their all singing all dancing, do it all package click here up and running by the time the Kasparsky license expires.

Despite the reduced feature list another very respectable freebie to choose from, well done AOL.

Worrying note on the AOL EUL documentation with the Anti Virus, part of the terms seem to indicate that the End User Support module, usually used to provide feedback on viruses and malware to the developers has been modified by AOL to act as adware giving browsing feedback to allow them and their affiliates to focus adverts and offers they send you. The EUL terms also imply that the use of the software is conditional on receiving the spam, I wonder how easy unsubscribing will be ? Do any of the resident spyware warriors have any comments ?

Well as I'm already testing Comodo Beta I'm out of spare machines to test it on, but I have downloaded the .exe and received the registration code, so If they start spamming me I'll let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

Additional notes on the EUL seems that I'm not the only one with concerns over the EUL terms.

The license agreement in itself gives me little reason to trust this, the possibility all be it unconfirmed, that the software has AOL incorporated Ad/Spyware relegates this to the bottom of the options list.

avast!, AVG, Antivir & now Comodo manage the free option approach without all this unwanted baggage. Still it's all down to user choice and Kasparsky remains a good option, if you want to take the AOL risk.