Smoking In Public

Guest Nellie2

if we put a ban on smoking, is this not an infringement of civil liberties and freedoms....if people wish to take the risk of harming themselves via smoking let them.

Lets spend the money that would be used to enforce the ban on something useful...

People have the right to do it to themselves, but not to others. My nan has severe bronchitous (spelling) and other breathing difficulties because my Grandad has smoked a pipe since it was publicised as good for you.

Guest moon

Is there a ban on people with contagious diseases going out in public ? I'd rather be standing next to a smoker in a bus queue than some thoughtless flu-ridden bugger who thinks that germ-spreading is one of life's necessities. 'Flu's not the worst of it, either. If there's any banning to be done, let's get the priorities right.

Anyone seen the new Govt. advert that attempts to shock people into giving up?

Have seen clips on the BBC news this morning and feel its not the best advert in the world, but does make you think.

Strange thing is that most people I speak to give the impression that in an ideal world they would give up but never get round to it. Very few people seem to smoke because they enjoy it. Am sure most people smoke just as a distraction or something to do to get out of 10 mins work every hour :rolleyes:

Guest Nellie2

You are right Peter e. A poll would have been interesting.

My views on this are that to totally ban smoking in public is to take away a persons choice.

Having said that I am in favour of non smoking sections in pubs and I think a ban in restaurants is a good idea........ there is nothing worse if you are eating than someone having a fag nearby.

I say all this as a smoker who is desperatly trying to give up at the moment. :(

I don't/didn't smoke in my house....... because the smell lingers and is horrible and for that reason I won't/wouldn't smoke in anyone elses house. So at home I am reduced to standing in the shed if I want a fag........ at work I go to the smoke room which is awful because it is always so smokey in there.

So anyway......... a person should be able to choose I think and not have a policy forced on them

Redhat,

i sympathise with your nan, however no one is forcing anyone to breathe in anyone elses smoke. It has also been publicised for many years that smoking in any form is bad for you.....

If you are in a smoky room then the simple answer is to leave. No one makes anyone sit in smoking sections and the majority of environments now have non smoking sections.

I am a non smoker but perversely at work always sit in the smoking section of our canteen, and then moan about the smoke!!!!

However a total ban on smoking in public is simply another piece of political correctness gone mad.

Moon has hit the nail on the head with the Flu statement, at least we can see someone smoking and move, who knows what the person next to you on the bus has got????!!???

REDHAT, if you have trouble with spelling, you possibly missed this one, it is a simple free download for an online spell check. When installed go to Tools/ieSpell options, and change the language from US to British. http://www.iespell.com/

Back to the point. I agree about people going into public places with infectious diseases, they should be more considerate, but in fact people are at their most contagious before they reach the full blown obvious signs of flue etc.. Passive smoking has killed many Innocent people and should be banned in public, except for special separate area's.

Passive smoking has killed many Innocent people

Where are the reliable statistics that prove this beyond reasonable doubt?

How much passive smoking would you have to do to reach the effects of smoking one whole ciggy yourself.

Once again the government is concentrating on silly little things and ignoring the bigguns.......

Roy Castle NEVER EVER smoked in his life, but died from lung cancer which the doctors were convinced was caused by passive smoking in the night clubs which provided most of his work. It is extremely difficult to provide conclusive proof of almost anything, just probabilities. But with smoking the probabilities are overwhelming.

Travelling to work this morning I found myself stuck in the usual traffic jam, in front of me the double decker bus and alongside me the huge lorries.....all belching out black diesel exhaust. The stench was awful and there was no escape for several minutes, and then the traffic lights ahead changed and I was trapped again.

This is the usual way of things each day going to and from work. Diesel fumes contain:

carbon monoxide

carbon dioxide

sulphur dioxide

nitrogen oxides

aldehydes including benzene and formaldehyde

hydrocarbons

polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs)

soot (carbon).

The major component of diesel exhaust is soot (60%-80%).

Time to ban diesel fuel in public places?

this could go on and on with just about any foul smelling or minutely poisonous substance ever thought of.

It is another move towards the nanny state and the move should be stopped in the name of sanity.