Smoking In Public

Guest Nellie2

Guest Nellie2

And so the great smoking debate goes on........what do you think about banning smoking in public places?

Apparently in California, where they have had a smoking ban for the last five years, the instances of lung cancer have already started to fall.

I cannot stand smoking. I would never ever go out with a girl that smoked, tobaco or otherwise. I have a tendancy to snatch people's fags that they have blown in my direction through, out of their mouths and crush it on the floor.

Also, if people want to kill themselves by smoking, chuck yourself off a cliff, at least no one else dies then.

as a non smoker...

yes please ban it ASAP! Not only is it annoying and something we have to put up with but it isn't good for anyone! Have to wash my clothes far too often, and now I'm not living at home thats not good.

and just think of how much less litter there would be on the streets. all round good plan!

Guest ellas

as a n/s this does not bother me either way but whats next the fat ban,what gets me is they seem to imply stop smoking/eating fatty foods and you will live forever,thats not true I'm surprised the government are not pushing fags cause they sure as hell dont want to pay out for pensioners living longer and longer and who the bloody hell wants to work till there 70 especially as like at our local tescos all they do is collect trolleys.

especially as like at our local tescos all they do is collect trolleys

i have the (mis)fortune to work for Tesco (no i do not push trollies) and the "old codgers" that push trollies are actually the most dedicated workers in the store. They rarely have time off sick, are never late and actually understand the value of having a job. If all of my staff showed the dedication that the trolly chaps do then the store that I am in would be absolutely perfect!!!!!!

i too have no preference either way.

Guest ellas

it was not to knock them but surely with all there years of knowledge,training etc they are capable of much more,have you ever asked what job they once did bet some of them are highly qualified in other fields.

we have one chap, not quite a pensioner, but he is an aircraft designer by trade, another who helped design and lay pipelines in the far east, several ex services and so on, some just work coz they have nothing better to do..

Guest Damo

Have to say that as a smoker of 10 years (yes, I started when I was 14!), I understand why they would want to ban it, but don't think it would EVER work.

I mean, what's gonna happen if you light up in a pub where it's banned??

They call the police?? They throw you out?? They start a civil lawsuit against you for increasing their chance of lung cancer?

I don't think so!

I think it would be far more feasable to have designated areas in bars/clubs/pubs for smokers/non-smokers.

Ah but what about the workers?...............

This is going to sound incredibly ignorant of me but........A damn good majority of bar workers/club workers (certainly who I know) already smoke, due to whatever reasons, whether it be through working in smokey bars/clubs whatever.

So I think the local goverments/councils who are trying to push this ban through are around twenty years to late.

At a time where more people smoke than ever before, they try to ban it in public!...PAH!

I could go on with this incessant rant for hours, but I'll stop right here!

Damo

Ok you go out for a drink and have a fag, they go hand in hand.

Surely in a democratic society the smoker has rights as well, obviously not!

They have banned smoking in the workplace, in some restaurants etc etc

Did you know in California it is illegal to smoke within 200 yards of a public building! Yes you read that right 200 yards

The world is going mad

Tell you what lets ban children as they make noise and whilst we are at it lets ban dogs because they smell when they are wet!

Have i made my point here

If you don't like someone that smokes in your proximity, then move away from them

If you don't like smoke in the PUB then don't go down the pub

There you go, i've had my say now

Guest Damo

In a survey carried out by the goverment last year it was determined that there were 12 million ADULT (over18) smoker and another 3 million who smoked pipes or cigars.

You can't seriously tell me that a complete smoking ban in public areas will work!

Foxhunting, smoking, what's next ? :angry:

why don't they ever deal with the real issues ? :angry:

Apart from that where will they get taxes from if we all managed to give up smoking, chances are it will affect the working class most. an example is council tax, the lower paid pay a higher proportion of their income on council tax.

" No tax increases " bovine faeces, just increase stealth taxes instead. :angry:

Mmmmmm. Emotive topic, eh! :(

Don't know where I stand on this one. I think it's as well for the "ban smoking altogether" camp to remember that not so long ago smoking was the "norm" and was, in a sense, actively encouraged. And those who are hooked find it difficult to give up. I reckon there has got to be room for compromise here. I think smoking in restaurants shouldn't be allowed, but pubs are a different matter. I am a smoker (pipe), but I never smoke in my own home or anyone elses - not because I am not allowed to, but because I choose not to. I always try to consider others if I fancy lighting up - it depends where I am and what the circumstances are. I must admit that I do light up in the pub. No one ever complains in the pub. Strangely, quite often, even non-smokers say things like "Oh, I love the smell of pipe tobacco".

I'll sit on the fence on this one and continue to puff on the pipe until someone tells me to put it out. ;)

Pete

I dont smoke , but I think that this is a ban too far......... People cannot say that they dont know what the dangers are , I think that the laws are just about right , as they stand now .

I like a beer or a decent Sauvignon , I know what the dangers are too ! , but I enjoy them......

if we put a ban on smoking, is this not an infringement of civil liberties and freedoms....if people wish to take the risk of harming themselves via smoking let them.

Lets spend the money that would be used to enforce the ban on something useful...