Dummy Needs Assistance

Guest moon

Guest moon

I've built a website and it's stored in 'My Webs' in the 'My Documents' folder.

I open 'Frontpage', open my web and click 'Publish Web'

Frontpage goes through all the palaver, I select my site URL, enter my password etc. and Frontpage goes through the process of uploading. Frontpage informs me that my upload is successful.

I close Frontpage and open my browser, check my site and all is apparently well.

However, when I checked it on another machine I found that the links don't work because they are all pointing to my hard drive files !!!!!!!!!! Why ????????? and how do I fix it ?

yours in breathless anticipation,

Dummy.

Guest moon

I'm not sure what you're asking, mark. The web is in its own folder in 'My Webs'. There are no copies of it floating about outside of that folder. I simply built the web in Frontpage, saved it in Frontpage, and popped all the files into a new folder.

Guest moon

Yes, they were. I created a main page with a links bar to all site pages. This links bar is a 'shared border' and so appears on all pages. I then made the pages, went back to the main page and then created the links for them.

Guest Nellie2

I am trying to remember when I was playing around with front page...... when creating a hyperlink I used to have to change the path of the hyperlink target in the URL box. so that it started with http:// site name / directory / page name.htm. Obviously with no spaces.

I think!! :huh:

Guest moon

If I post the link, mark, all you will see will be my front page. The links bar is visible but if you right-click a link you'll get the path to my hard-drive file !

Guest moon

OK chaps. I stumbled into Dreamweaver, which I've been saving until I had time to learn how to work it, and somehow managed to push the right buttons to upload the site from my h/d to the host, overwriting everything that I'd put there with Frontpage. It effin worked. Either I'm born lucky or Dreamweaver is the cream.

While we're at it, give us a bit of crit. will ya ? Don't hold back but please bear in mind that I know nothing about coding. General dummy advice appreciated.

http://foresterscourtgalleries.netfirms.com

EDIT :

moon i have front page as well

Madboy, what can I say ? :D

Excellent,

it loads quickly (on BB) it is clearly laid out and simple.....

Well done moon, keep on like this and you will have your own web design business in no time!!!!

Guest moon

Stunned for words, LB. Cheers. 'Course, if you're pulling my leg I'll get even later. :D

Afterthought; Are you looking at the right link ? :blink:

Guest moon

Thanks chaps. :) I'm on ISDN 64k which is only a little better than dial-up and it is a bit slow for me so I'm surprised that you're getting it and retaining your politeness.

Is it centered ? Do you have to scroll sideways at all ?

Mark, no, I didn't manage to fix the links. I just blew them all away with Dreamweaver. Now I've got to learn how to build a site with it. :blink: :)