PortableApps Suite

D4\/!d

If you use a USB drive, you might find this handy:

http://portableapps.com/suite

Three versions to choose from:

* Standard: 89.5MB (download), ~260MB (unzipped and installed)

* Lite: 30.4MB (download), ~105MB (installed) - Uses the smaller AbiWord instead of the whole OpenOffice suite

* Base: 0.7MB (download), 1MB (installed) - Choose the Apps you want and install them separately

Not only does it install portable apps on your USB drive, it has a program-launcher and backup utility.

Not tried it myself yet but it looks good :)

Thank you.

It looks interesting. I was wondering whether to download the Thunderbird portable app to a portable pen drive. I read the "walk through set-up" procedure but found it more than difficult to understand. What to enter in the outgoing and incoming server boxes was a mystery to me.

Thos.

Yeah it always baffles me too. It's things such as the following that seem to work for me.

Incoming mail (pop3): pop3.blueyonder.co.uk

Outgoing mail: smtp.blueyonder.co.uk

I am on blueyonder and these are my outlook express settings, I guess if you try something similar using your isp, it might work for you. Let's hope so :)

Thanks.

1st hiccup was that when I opted for the base set-up, I downloaded and installed the suite. But I couldn't install the Thunderbird app. Then I noticed that there was a bug preventing this and a patch was available. Dowloading that cured it.

2nd hiccup was the settings. I did as you suggested and the account was set up.

3rd hiccup was the password. I tried all sorts until my brain kicked in and I remembered the password when I originally set up the Sky OE account.

Like magic, it all opened up and now on a pen drive about an inch long and half an inch wide with a capacity of only 125mb, I am able to plug in when on my travels and send and receive e-mails.

Thanks, D4\/!d

Thos. :flowers: