Will AVG spot trojans etc?

Guest Windows Forum Guest

So then, got AVG running along with Sygate's firewall but I recently have noticed harddrive activity at funny times (and it can't be either space or memory hunting - there's loads spare). Also recently I was looking for a decent file shredder and when exiting one of the sites the damn thing threw me a snapshot of my root drive to "prove" that I was "unprotected" which not only doesn't convince me to trust the site but also leaves me doubting my firewall.

Any idea if the hd activity could be a trojan or similar?

OS is XP (home not pro). I do have other m$ stuff on the system in the way of hardware but not software. (that's to say the mouse and the joystick)

The thing is I don't have to be online for the xtra activity to kick in. It's just a bit weird and worrying.

have a look at the GAV board,I believe mark2 runs this as a added a/v (not on permanent protection) and its also a trojan scanner,sure mark2 will give you more info,got great results when one of our members had trojans installed and we are also in direct contact with the GAV creator if there are any problems,if fact me and craig are moderators at there forum.

That looks right to me. It certainly alarmed me though it didn't make me go "Darned I must need their kit" it made me disconnect asap. So perhaps not such a great gimmick as they think.

It wasnt on EE's site but a similar kind of proggy.

blkviper.com is going to take some trawling through though so I may be sometime.

All I can tell you is AVG did not stop me getting Klez.

But that is the only time I've had a mishap with it in over 18 mths of use and when I sent AVG on the trail -- it did get it.

It was my own fault too really. I'd got a grandson stopping with me at the time and I opened (an admittedly dodgy looking) email because I thought it was in reply to something he had told me he was waiting for.

I then did an AVG scan straight away and it got it then. Since then I do a regular scan (most days).