Anyone Done This

Guest ellas

Guest ellas

anyone broke a mobo adding extra memory,well I have now,tried putting a extra ram in and the slot was stiff as hell,anyway it went in but no sign of it in bios or windows,probaley should have left it but I swapped memory over(still those slots where stiff) and this time no post,put original back in slot no post,tried resetting the cmos etc,fans working etc,this was a supposed new mobo off ebay for £26,anyway could not find the same msi one for sale on the net so I bought a AOPEN one from dabs in there clearance for £36,same chipset and of course used all the components,booted no problems but got the windows needs to be reactivated crap,did that checked memory all accounted for,so far have noticed no problems with xp and the new mobo,in fact running like a dream seems like a better mobo,anyone know what could of happened,noticed one of the solders on the underside of the old mobo had been ground off a bit maybe pushing the ram in had done that and caused damage.

could not find the same msi one for sale on the net

ellas

What model MSI board was it ?

I did break one slot years ago, but that was using 30 pin Simms where you had to put them in at angle.

Closest I've done is put the ram in at a funny angle, and the mobo didn't really find the ram b/c it wasn't really in the socket.

Other than that, it's the occasional run in with not-compatible hardware (IE- moody mobo that wants only pc100 or pc133)

Hi

The worst i did was at work one morning, (Slightly hungover)

I was putting a P4 2.8 ghz in the mobo and did not match the little arrow up. It looked like it was seated ok, then i put the Heatsink and fan on, boy was that tough to do.

When the pc did not post or anything, and after the rutine checks, i took the cpu out to find that about 10 pins had been flaterned :blink: opp's.

My boss was not impressed <_<

Tony