BHG RTS run time Fatal

Herewith the attached:

I’ve had two Microsoft games, Rise of Nations and Rise of Nations Thrones and Patriots, on my computer for several years. Recently, after not having played them for about six months, I tried to open them and received the message “ BHG RTS run time Fatal”, “MSXML 4.0 is not properly installed”.

I researched the internet, mostly forums, and have learned this apparently is not an uncommon event, but most of the forum streams date back a couple of years. Following some of the recommendations in the forums, one of which is on Microsoft’s Help and Support Site claim this error can be remedied by a clean boot and then opening the CD to the Redist folder and double clicking the MSXMLENU.MSI file to reinstall that item. DIDN’T WORK FOR ME!

Another forum had the recommendation to visit the Microsoft Download Center and follow directions from there. This site had four files to download, msxlm4 sxs. Msxlm 4 sys, xmlsdkdoc and msxml4.cab. I downloaded all four, was able to install all four to my Programs folder but the msxml.msi that came along with them, the set up wizard returns the error message “A network error occurred while attempting to read the file C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\msxmlenu.msi”.

A third forum recommended visiting http://www.msce.ms/archives for resolving the issue. No particular reference was mad to which answer on this site which has over 160,000 issues answered.

As it is, I can still not open the games and I’m concerned what other programs this error might effect. Oddly, I went through my update history (auto updates) and found that Microsoft updated this file twice last year, Security update 925672 Oct 10, 2006 and Security update KB 927978 Nov 11, 2006. I’m wondering if either of those two had the effect of screwing up my MSXML 4.0 file.

I’m running a computer with XP Home SP2, 80GB hard drive (only 25% used), 756 RAM.

Please, I need help. I’m at a loss as to what to do next (I downloaded a trial version of the game to see if was the CD that was affected but got the same error).

Why not just uninstall MSXML and uninstall the game. If the game requires it, it will be installed for you.

Both can be uninstalled via the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel.

Thanks I'll try that......I've already uninstalled the games and reinstalled them resulting in the same problem. But, I have not uninstalled MSXML4.0 because I don't know what else that affects. I'll let all know what happens.

Why not just uninstall MSXML and uninstall the game. If the game requires it, it will be installed for you.

Both can be uninstalled via the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel.

Thanks I'll try that......I've already uninstalled the games and reinstalled them resulting in the same problem. But, I have not uninstalled MSXML4.0 because I don't know what else that affects. I'll let all know what happens.

Well I tried your advice and uninstalled both MSXML and Rise of Nations game, then reinstalled just the game. Everything went fine with installation, reboot but trying to play the game results in the same message as originally. So I'm back to square one.

Try a Google search; there are actually a few people who had the same problem and got it fixed.

I've uninstalled this game (Rise of Nations) so many times, as well as uninstalling MSXML 4.0 that the next steps escape me. However, from the various sites visited (mostly Microsoft) I downloaded MSXML 4.0 SP2 (Security update 11/15/2006, KB927978) and MSXML 4 Parser (I don't remember where I got that, most likely Microsoft Game support site). I again reinstalled Rise of Nations, went to Control Panel, Add/Remove folder and highlighted MSXML 4.0 and clicked the "More info" button. This brings up a window which has a repair function. Alas, this didn't work as I received another error balloon. BUT! did the same for MSXML 4 Parser, the repair function worked and when I went back and started up the game, it worked. I did have a problem with trying to bring up a saved game, but that may not be a problem in the future (I've yet to reboot the computer to finish game installation). My next step will be to reinstall RON Thrones and Patiriots. Hopefully that will also work.

Wish me luck and again thanks to all who responded to my problem.