PC extremely/unreasonably slow/slower...

Adela

I just remembered why I was asking all those questions in my past posts...

Because I wanted to see BEFORE switching my OS if the computer would return to its normal speed after cleaning it. If not, it would mean the computer is kaput and I wouldn't have to change the OS on this one.

What do you think??? Thanks again. Adela

Crap cleaner will give you a list of all programs that you have installed, if you open crap cleaner, click on Tools, it will give you a list of programs installed, then in the bottom left corner click on save text file, then save where you can find it and then open the text file and print it off.

As far as the speed of your computer is concerned, all computers slow down in time and a fresh install generally cures this.

If you do a new install the drive will have to be formatted which will wipe of everything, so you will need all drivers for the motherboard, sound, graphics and anything else that needs its own drivers.

To do a new install you need to have the CD or DVD drive set to first boot.

This is done by pressing the Delete or F2 button at start up to enter the BIOS ( it will tell you on the splash screen what to press to enter the BIOS).

Then you need to set the boot order to CD/DVD first, then press F10 and press Y then OK to save the changes.

Reboot the computer with your nice shiny XP disk and away you go.

Oh wow Alan, thanks so much for giving me the entire sequence of steps! I just printed it out so I can follow all steps carefully.

Crap cleaner will give you a list of all programs that you have installed, if you open crap cleaner, click on Tools, it will give you a list of programs installed, then in the bottom left corner click on save text file, then save where you can find it and then open the text file and print it off.

This is easy as I just learned it from Jason ;o) Then once I have it in print I'll be able to go to all those program websites and install them again?

If you do a new install the drive will have to be formatted which will wipe of everything, so you will need all drivers for the motherboard, sound, graphics and anything else that needs its own drivers.

Do you format the hard drive in the same way as you format a zip disk? And would I find all those drivers at the same place as the installed programs?

To do a new install you need to have the CD or DVD drive set to first boot.

This is done by pressing the Delete or F2 button at start up to enter the BIOS ( it will tell you on the splash screen what to press to enter the BIOS). Then you need to set the boot order to CD/DVD first, then press F10 and press Y then OK to save the changes.[/

I have a CD and I'll follow your instructions. By "splash screen" do you mean, the black screen like the DOS? And how do you "set the boot order to CD first"?

I thank you so much again! Adela

Do you format the hard drive in the same way as you format a zip disk? And would I find all those drivers at the same place as the installed programs?

When you install the operating system it will ask you to format the drive just accept the recommended default.

The motherboard drivers, onboard sound and onboard graphics will all be on one disk, if you have a seperate sound or graphics card they will have there own driver disk (you can obtain the latest drivers of the internet)

If you are on dial up you will also have a disk with the modem drivers.

Once the new install is complete go into device manager and check for any red or yellow marks which show something is wrong, normally the driver and needs to be redone or updated.

I have a CD and I'll follow your instructions. By "splash screen" do you mean, the black screen like the DOS? And how do you "set the boot order to CD first"?

Yes the splash screen is the black DOS like screen when you first turn your computer on.

Each type of BIOS is different in how you set first boot.

When you get the BIOS screen up have a look in the ADVANCED BIOS FEATURES, or you may have a heading BOOT, it all depends on the type of BIOS.

When moving around the BIOS the mouse will not work, you use the up & down and side to side arrow keys to move through the menus, the enter button to accept and the Esc button to go back to the previous menu.

If you do mess up simply restart your computer go back into the BIOS and accept the default settings or the optomised settings then press F10 then Y then enter and you can start all over again.

Who said computers are not fun.

I get plenty of fun out of mine running Windows. I have no desire to mess about with other operating systems, and neither have most people. Windows has served most of us quite well. Leave other systems to the more experienced who want to mess about. By far the best thing for Adela to do, is to follow the instructions and reinstall Windows.

ADELA, unfortunately there are some who rather than help with a problem, will tell you to dump your system, or dump your web browser, and use something different. My advice would be to stick with what you feel comfortable with, until such time as you feel adventurous, then, and only then seek advice first before changing anything. Best of luck in sorting your problems.

There are several very experienced people on here who are always ready to offer excellent advice, and some of them have helped me a lot in the past. to name but a few, and I hope that I don't cause any blushes, Nellie, pops, Alan 2273, and Scarecrow man. Apologies to any who I have left out.

It will pay you to print out any guides first for reference during the installation.

Thanks so much Alan for your thorough responses to my new questions! I have your instructions in print and I know now I am properly equipped to... take the plunge! And as you say, if I mess up something, all I have to do is "restart the computer and go back into the BIOS and accept the default settings or the optomised settings to start over again"! However, it will take me sometime since each step seems to be such a challenge to me, beginning with backing up all my database first...

I'm curious, do you use the Linux OS? I heard some good things about it but, as andsome wisely says, it's better something (badly) known, than get NEW headaches with something totally unknown... (especially in my case. LOL!)

Hopefully, the next time I write will be to report "fait accompli" - that I've accomplished my computer goal. A big thank you, again!

ANDSOME, you are a kind, sensitive soul! I appreciate a lot your advice to stick with what I now know for a variety of reasons. At a time when all wrong things happen at the same time in my computer life, your words are like a balm to me.

Thank you both! :flowers: Adela

The best of luck, you will be suprised how easy it is once you have done it.

I dual boot Linux & XP, as andsome says if you are happy with Windows and it does what you want stick with it.

If you ever want to have a look at Linux just google for Linux live CD's, these can be run from your CD/DVD drive and with that CD/DVD drive set as first boot (which you will be doing shortly) it will boot from the disk.

Doing it this way you can have a look at several Distros (Operating systems) and see which one you like without installing it.

Thank you for your encouraging words, Alan! As for the Linux...it's probably for the semi-distant future as now I have a real mouthful even for just taking a look, LOL! However, I'm keeping this and all the other valuable info in this thread in my word where I can find it quickly, so next time I can do it alone and even help others? ;o) Adela

P.S. Also for the semi-distant future, I'll have to tackle another big problem: how to send one message to many on a list at the same time...to the so-called "multiple recipients", a few times a day, without my server or OE (they blame each other) harassing me by holding my "sent" msgs in the outbox for hours sometimes for days! The result, I can send only to about 50 at a time! I work for several charities and have a list of under 500 names. :)