Trojan Questions

Scarthy © ® ™

Hi all ;),

I had a late night last night. I downloaded a file from Kazaa Lite. (yes I know - I have had my comp 16 months and have resisted these P2P software titles until now). Anyway, the file downloaded and was called "MDME.EXE". Late night/ no sleep and silly thing to do really I know

I scanned the file with Norton AV2002 and it showed nothing. So I double clicked it. As soon as I clicked it my Firewall (Norton 2002 also) asked me if I wanted to allow the program to access the internet? I refused and blocked the process. It made no other apparent installation/ execution attempts.

This made me think...I typed the name of the file in Google and 1 match came up...Click Here for info.

Ahhhh, I thought, a TROJAN ! :( I read the above link and decided to do a "ctrl+alt+delete". In the processes tab, I noticed the file name in the list, so I ended the task for that and, from the site above, I ended all the other files that had the same name as the list there. I also did a scan with Norton AV and it turned up with nothing. I also searched the registry/ drives for any of the files listed on the site.

So after this I decided to do a restart. I believe (I could be wrong) that if this was a trojan, then it would execute at startup and that is why the process was still running in Task Manager. Seeing as I deleted/ stopped most things I knew about, then it was probobally as good a time as any to have a restart.

When I got back onto windows, I again scanned with NAV and also did a check with Ad-Aware. I also checked the registry and HDD for any keys/ files listed on the site above. Again nothing (though the new Ad-Aware lists 2 new keys for Windows Media player - Unique ID or something - But this is with the new version and I have already noted them before on previous scans).

What I wanted to know is...

Do you think it was a trojan?

Could the trojan (if it was one) be still on my system?

Would it be worth getting a trojan scanner to check? If so which one?

As usual any advice/ help will be greatly received...

Thanx in advance ;)

BTW - 05:30 when I finally got to bed... :blink:

TDS3 is the dogs danglies for trojans from http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/, free download and trial, update it, there's also a forum at wilders for the free version where they cover getting and installing updates for free version, I would suggest starting in safe mode to do the scan, may even be worthwhile doing a scan reg /restore to before you downloaded.

I can find mdm.exe at start up list but no MDME.exe in the M page.

Does Norton let you close specific ports ? ie 5969, if not may be worthwhile trying Sygate as it will allow you to close specific ports.

Guest ellas

heres a little tip if you decide to buy the cleaner,purchase it,go to checkout and put a 0 in the order box to clear the purchase and then click update,then click to leave the page and a pop-up comes up with "dont leave the order page,click here to save 10% on your order"well 10% is better than nowt :)

Update....I went for Nellie2's suggestion and installed the latest Cleaner Database. I thought it looked the easiest to understand and use (no safe mode etc). Anyway, after the scan of C:\, there doesn't appear to be any infections...<touch wood> I even checked for scanning compressed files and hidden executions.

Does this mean that I am, more than likely, free of trojans???

;)

Guest Nellie2
Does this mean that I am, more than likely, free of trojans???

In my opinion the cleaner is a thorough program....... if it didn't find anything then you don't have a trojan on your system.

Pity Gladiator folded :(