OpenDNS

Scarecrow Man

Well, it's not really software, but it is free! I just tested it on my machine and believe it or not, WF opened much faster.

OpenDNS helps you navigate the Internet in a safer, faster, smarter and more reliable way. Our service is free and requires nothing to download. OpenDNS doesn't replace your existing Internet connection, it just makes it better.

http://www.opendns.com/

Interesting. I really didn't believe it and when I tried it I didn't see anything happen faster. But after testing dns speeds with DNS Tester on a number of large providers (Bell Atlantic, SpeakEasy, Sprintlink, Verizon (my provider), Earthlink, Bell South, FrontierNet, etc.) OpenDNS beat them all. Dns tester tests the querys from the local computer and not a remote server so its accurate on each computer its tested on not like many of the speed tests online. I've noticed though most of the urls queried where popular urls and I think the performance would be different with less popular ones but it would still probably be better than anything else. The OpenDNS servers seemed to have less problems than others also not to mention the url spelling correction and antiphishing system.

For anyone that doesn't know what DNS is or what OpenDNS does read this.

Cool post Scarecrow Man!

It should work on any internet connection and any operating system.

All you do is type two ip addresses (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220) in your dns tcp/ip settings. So when you want to visit google.com your computer will contact OpenDNS's name servers to resolve the address to an ip address. Thats it. The rest takes place between your computer and googles web servers.

1. Open the Control Panel, Network Connections, then right click the connection your using and select properties.

2. post-4630-1177605554_thumb.jpg

3. post-4630-1177605583_thumb.jpg

A few nice features it adds include:

Speed. It's much faster at resolving a URL to an IP.

Filtering. It has built in phishing filter, so it will not resolve a known phishing URL.

Brains. It can fix typo's for you. type www.windowsforum.og and you are still sent here, rather than a "page cannot be displayed" page.