Air Guns

Paul

Should air guns be made illegal??

Making guns illegal does not effect the criminal, it only restricts the law abiding citizen in what he/she can or cant do!

If a criminal wants a gun that is illegal then they WILL get hold of a gun one way or another, the law will make no difference to them.

Whats your thoughts on guns and gun law?

I remember, as a kid, first having an air pistol and later an air rifle. Both turned out to be five minute wonders. Never bothered about them since.

The police used to be on the beat then and if they caught you out on the streets firing them you were in real trouble. It's a long time ago and I believe it was OK to carry them but not to discharge them. As a result we were restricted to firing them in our 'back-yards', soon got bored with all that so bought a motorbike.

Strange thing, we used to be able to use bows and arrows or crossbows. How times change.

well theres a girl who lost her eye with kids playing with a airgun near me,why would a parent buy a airgun for there kid,if people want to use guns it should be in proper gun club not as a xmas present.

I had an airgun as a child. From around 8 years up, I had a 2.2 rifle. I do not agree with banning airguns, but I think that something should be done about using them in public places. Clubs are a good thing as well as people with land to use them on. There is too much ease for kids today to go anywhere and do anything without any holdback...

I also had access to a crossbow and owned several knives.

:blink: I (tick) ....tell me when Lord...(twitch) :unsure:

I remember when I was a kid my uncle had a crossbow at the farm he owned,never used it for,also a air pistol,his kids just spent all day shooting sparrows with it comeandgetsome.gif

I only remember shooting our crossbow once. It was a very cold winters day. The snow had fallen several days before and had froze solid, like a 6" floor of ice.

Me and my dad cocked the bow and I aimed and fired it. The bolt (arrow) clipped the bow as it left the end and was deflected downwards. It hit the ground, went around 20 feet under the ice, flew across our pond in the garden and lodged in the rockery at the other side.

We never bothered with it since then....Maybe we were put off by the unpredictability of it.... :unsure:

Guest Timeforabeer

I served for 15 yrs in the forces (Army) and i feel that i have some experience in these matters. The conclusion i come to is that the weapons/air guns/pellet guns/whatever you want to call them are NOT dangerous. What is dangerous is the lunatic holding the thing. I and many others spent many hours honing our skills at weapon handling so that we could use them safely and properly. Put bluntly, an airgun is bits of metal,plastic and/or wood and is in itself an inert object. It's the nutter that is holding it that's the problem.

yeah I've been driving a car for a few years so have a bit of experience and cars are NOT dangerous its the lunatics driving them that kill innocents like that 6 year old girl who lived about 10 miles from me,timeforabeer you could say that about anything,dont think the thread is about banning them but trying to restrict the chances of the lunatics getting hold of them.

Education and clubs, is probably the best way to control the use of airguns. if they are used in the correct place in the correct manner no problem, It is when the lunatics get them that problems begin.

I did hear on the radio this week about some airguns being converted to take .22 rimfire shells, the ammunition wasn't too difficult to get hold of on the blackmarket.

I think this really is the sort of thing that should be tackled.

Guest Timeforabeer

ellas....Nowhere in my post did i mention that I wanted them banned. I live in a rural area (Gloucestershire),and, I have friends that work as gamekeepers. To these people, airguns/shotguns are simply tools of their trade. Birmingham is only 20-25 mins away where as you probably know those two young girls got shot. The type of weapon used in that murder was almost certainly not an airgun. That is the sort of weapon I would like to see banned. I agree that some sort of controls should be in place for airguns. Maybe, that before you can buy one, you have to supply proof of membership to a club that supplies proper training and secure storage facilities or other such controls. But,i think a long term view must be taken as to the solution.