Windows Vista (Business version) does not download file from the Inter

I have windows vista business version installed in my Toshiba laptop with admin persmissions.

When i try to download a file (any type of file) from the Internet, nothing happens.. i mean, although windows vista starts the download, (green progress bar appears) the download progress finishes quickly at the end (of the green progress bar) and nothing is written to disk. I have admin permissions and no disk quotas are applied

Strangely, my antivirus (Avast home free edition) gets updated correctly. so it has nothing to do with the connection. ....

Same happens when i try to open an attached file in email (Yahoo) box,, for example, i have received a powerpoint file attached in my email box, try to download it and open but when download has finished the window closes. and happens.

Extra info:

1. I am using Internet explorer (no Firefox)

2. I am downloading to a special folder called c:\util, not to Users\username\downloads (although already tried to download to this folder by default but not luck)

3. I have cleared the cache (compltely) and restarted internet explorer, but this did not help.

4. I am using the option "Save as" and unchecked the checkbox of close window when download finishes. Even whith this option unchecked when download finishes, nothing happens.. normally i should see a dialog window with the typical question of do you want to execute the downloaded file etc..

please help :huh:

• 1 month later...