Windows Profile questions

Seid

I think I may be able to fix this on my own, but I just want some clarification before I start working on this.

My computer shut down due to overheating, then when it booted up, it asked for a disk check. My computer has overheated a few times in the past, but it's never asked for a disk check. I skip it, then I get a notice on the "welcome!" screen, saying that my profile has been corrupted, and that I should contact the administrator. There's a 30 second timer, so I just press OK; the same window comes up, and I press OK again, then I am brought to the desktop. Everything is set back to as if I had just installed Windows XP on a fresh new computer. Fortunately, after going to C:\Documents and Settings, I found all my stuff is there just as I left it. My user settings are currently set to an "All Users" folder, which is empty, and not mine ("Michael"), which has all of my files and folders.

I'm going to back everything up before I attempt to restore my profile, but I just want to make sure I'm actually looking at the right solution for the right problem. I'm currently using this and possibly this to fix the problem. These remedies match up to my problem, correct?

Thanks in advance for any clarifications.

It sounds very much to me as though the computer needs a damned good clean out first, to get rid of the possible causes of the overheating, before trying to correct the problem. Is it gunged up inside? Are the fans working? :D

I agree with andsome. It is vital that you find and treat the cause of the overheating before looking at the Windows problem.

It is most likely to be dust preventing the fans doing their job properly but it could just be a fan failure. In any case, it should be easy to overcome.

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually cleaned the fans out a while ago, but I think I may have a virus of some sort. I've been carrying around some files for about a year now--they must have survived at least 3 reformats, so I wouldn't be surprised if they carried some sort of problem.

Anyways, the profile problem is solved. I lost some installed programs and passwords, but all of my files are still there. Thanks for the suggestions.