Napster To Relaunch

Guest LB

Napster is to relaunch before Christmas offering both subscription and free services.

Napster 2.0 will allow users access to up to 500,000 tracks by paying for individual downloads or a monthly subscription.

Napster has signed agreements with the five major record labels as well as the top independents.

In a statement, the company said the service will offer music by artists from Eminem and Miles Davis to the Dixie Chicks and Bob Marley.

Chris Corog, chairman and CEO of Roxio Inc, the new owners of the service, said, "Napster 2.0 is being built from the ground up to reflect the essence of independence and innovation that the brand is known for.

"Consumers want flexibility, and for the first time they will not have to choose between downloads or subscriptions.

"Napster 2.0 will allow music fans to do both, putting the power where it belongs - in the hands of consumers."

Started by college student Shawn Fanning as a way to connect like-minded music fans so they could share songs for free over the internet, Napster filed for bankruptcy last year.

Napster will re-emerge in an increasingly competitive marketplace for legitimate o­nline music services which now includes Apple Computer's iTunes, MusicNet, Pressplay and Listen.com.

ellas, you are sooooo correct, it was one of those ground breaking programs that only come along once, and no matter which program P2P users choose, it will never be as good as the original napster!

Guest Shirley_Crabtree

It WON'T be the same because we don't really need it.

Kazaa took up the role of the P2P daddy a while back ,and it does it with style(well the lite version)!!

Cheers.

Shirl.

Guest Shirley_Crabtree

I just booted up kazaa-lite out of curiosity....3,884,341 users sharing 5,928,064 GBs of files.

I download the odd mp3! ...I DON'T sell albums on the car boot,sale,nor full games on Ebay...How is this somehow different to recording the top 40 on a Sunday evening onto cassette like we all used to?

I appreciate that this isn't an "Is p2p ok?"thread but I thought I'd add my twopennyworth.

Cheers.

Shirl.