Windows blue screening with boot or reinstall

Lee

I'm working on an HP Pavilion ze5500 (Windows XP). It's a friend's computer. The computer was blue screening and restarting. It didn't matter if it was regular boot, safe mode or safe mode with command prompt. At first I thought it was the drivers, but I've ruled that out. I tried the recovery CD and it blue screened. Finally, I gave up and decided to try to reinstall. That bluescreened. With the install, I finally saw the error codes (the boot bluscreen would flash for about .01 second then restart). I did some research into the error code (Microsoft just told me it could be any one of 10 possibilities or none of those). Everything seemed to be pointing to bad memory. So, I ran memtest. It did about 5 passes with no errors. At this point, I'd like to point out that I booted a Linux live CD with no problems. Also, in an attempt to figure out where the issue was, before I moved to the installation, i swapped hard drives. I had one from a different friend that I thought had Windows on it. It actually had Linux, but that booted with no problem whatsoever. What I'm wondering is, could this be video memory? Linux, without drivers, won't use the video memory, which could explain why Linux has no problems booting, but Windows does. It would also explain why Memtest is passing. So, 1) could it be the video memory? 2) If so, is there a way to fix it? BTW, I swapped out my RAM and the blue screen still occurred, so with all that, I don't believe my RAM or cache is bad. The blue screen had PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA on top and a STOP 0x00000050 on the bottom. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

I'm working on an HP Pavilion ze5500 (Windows XP). It's a friend's computer. The computer was blue screening and restarting. It didn't matter if it was regular boot, safe mode or safe mode with command prompt. At first I thought it was the drivers, but I've ruled that out. I tried the recovery CD and it blue screened. Finally, I gave up and decided to try to reinstall. That bluescreened. With the install, I finally saw the error codes (the boot bluscreen would flash for about .01 second then restart). I did some research into the error code (Microsoft just told me it could be any one of 10 possibilities or none of those). Everything seemed to be pointing to bad memory. So, I ran memtest. It did about 5 passes with no errors. At this point, I'd like to point out that I booted a Linux live CD with no problems. Also, in an attempt to figure out where the issue was, before I moved to the installation, i swapped hard drives. I had one from a different friend that I thought had Windows on it. It actually had Linux, but that booted with no problem whatsoever. What I'm wondering is, could this be video memory? Linux, without drivers, won't use the video memory, which could explain why Linux has no problems booting, but Windows does. It would also explain why Memtest is passing. So, 1) could it be the video memory? 2) If so, is there a way to fix it? BTW, I swapped out my RAM and the blue screen still occurred, so with all that, I don't believe my RAM or cache is bad. The blue screen had PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA on top and a STOP 0x00000050 on the bottom. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

just so that you know i been experiencing the same problem since sunday morning... what happened to me was on sunday morning my computer displayed a blue screen of death and restarted...it then prompted me to activate...but it was really unstable...it booted and crash in 5 min or so...i backed up my data on to my usb drive and reinstalled windows...for some reason, it actually crashed 3 times durring the install...not sure why but i been using this computer for almost 5-6 months with vista and never had problems... so far, i am getting the blue screen now and then but its still somewhat usable for now...its crashing like every hours or so....i am think it could be bad hardware which i won't try to fix...but for right now, i don't thinks its vista...unless its a recent update that mess it up...my system is the ze2000...

0x50

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

You have ruled your ram being faulty out. Does this computer have an onboard, or seperate video card? I suspect this may be the problem.

0x50

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

You have ruled your ram being faulty out. Does this computer have an onboard, or seperate video card? I suspect this may be the problem.

That's what I'm thinking. It's onboard (IGP). Is there any way to fix it?

0x50

That's what I'm thinking. It's onboard (IGP). Is there any way to fix it?

Anybody?