Word: continuous page breaks

luckyduck

Hello everyone!

I hope I have posted this question in the correct place. I tried to do a search but did not come up with anything. Here goes.

When I'm trying to insert a continous page break in Word 2003, the program sometimes forces a break anyway, and sometimes the program works as it should. My documents aren't that long (say 50-100 pages) but need to be broken up into sections so I can manipulate different headers and footers for various sections.

But I can't seem to put in sections without also breaking the page. AAAHHH. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Warm regards,

luckyduck

Welcome to the Windows Forum.

Sorry, I don't understand the meaning of "continuous page break"; please explain or give an example. Does this give any additional information?

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the welcome. Your link is about page breaks whereas I'm talking about section breaks. Basically in word you have lots of different kinds of breaks to manage longer documents, including page breaks and section breaks. Section breaks also come in different kinds, including breaks which force a new page (like a page break) and breaks which are continuous. This means that I can insert a continuous section break just before a heading, for example, without making Word go to a new page. This is very advantageous when a document has lots of headings which need their own individual headers or footers.

Normally, in Word, I can insert a continuous section break and it does what it is supposed to do: that is, create a new section without creating a new page break. But sometimes it doesn't work. Sometimes a continuous section break actually breaks the page -- something it is not supposed to do. There must be some other parameter at work that I don't know about.

Thanks for your help,

David

Thank you - I understand better now. However, I don't know details about section breaks. But there are a number of knowledgeable people around, so maybe someone else may help you out with this one.

Pat, the Page/Section break is accessed from the top menu bar - Insert - then select either Page or Section etc.

luckyduck, Sorry I can't be much help to you.

Odd that it works sometimes and not others. Intermittent faults are the most difficult to solve.

Hopefully someone else might have ideas. :)

So you are trying to get more than one section on one page.

I wonder if it is the screen that is displaying the different sections on different pages whereas a print preview might actually be showing the sections continuously without a page break. B)

If you cannot find your answer here, there is a specialized Microsoft newsgroup for Word at

The newsgroups is also available web-based somewhere, but I don't have that URL right now.

Thanks everyone,

I'll keep trying to resolve the problem from my end. If anyone get's any ideas, certainly let me know!

Warm regards,

David