TL WN550G PCI card and Voyager 2500V

catgate

Some time ago I got a TP Link TL WN550G PCI card and attempted to connect Management's Laptop (PCIMA) with the Desktop box, both on W98SE. I got them to be able to "see" each other but there the matter remained, because the need for the connection was solved by another route. (it was faster to copy to CD than to prat about trying to get them to talk to each other).

I now have the Linux box connected to the 'net, via a BT 2500V modem/wireless router, using the ethernet connections. From time to time we both want to be "Online" simultaneously and I thought it might be achieved by digging out the TP Link card and popping it back into the W98SE box, (which has just had a new MB).

However, after putting the card in, and running the TP Link installation CD, all I get is the ability to "Enable/Disable the Tray Icon" and also look at the "Troubleshooting" facility (which of course is as much use as a pork pie at a Bar mitzvah when, it would appear, the card does not works). The little green light on the card keeps happily flashing green, but that seems to be its limit of co-operation.

I wondered if ZAlarm was putting up a barrier but there is no apparent entry on its list, so I am left wondering "What's Up Doc" and how I can check (easily) the efficacy of the Wireless section of the Voyager and the state of health of my PCI card. (The "copy to CD" is not an option here :( )

What to type into the TCP/IP, UPS, IPA, RSVP boxes is an entirely different matter yet to be conquered,

I would therefore be grateful for any crumbs of comfort that could be directed in my direction.

Thank You. Merci. Danke. Grazzi, usw.

Yes, Boris, the TP-Link Wireless Client Utility is installed. That is where I get "Enable/Disable the Tray Icon". All else is 'greyed out' (apart from "troubleshooting)

As far as the Voyager end is concerned I had not considered the 'turning on' aspect of it. I shall have a look at that. Presumably access is through the 192.168.1.1 route.

Yes I have just downloaded it and I had got to the beginning of that chapter. When I saw the little Bar Graph icon I realised that I had not seen that and on my previous excursion into the exotic world of wireless this had been a sticking point for a while, and I had to have a few goes at loading before it "took".

It looks as though I need to master that little nasty.

Regarding the Voyager the green light on the front, which proudly proclaims "Wireless", is lit and that, according to 192.168.1.1 , appears to be a satisfactory state of affairs.

I shall go and have another poke about trying to get the bar graph icon to appear, by reloading the entire shooting match again (after cleaning it all out), after tea.

It is something akin to juggling with a ton of loose soot, Boris.

Even after some very tasty locally produced and cured bacon chops I am still without my bar chart icon. I have cleared out and reinstalled the TL WN550G thrice and I am still getting no joy.

One thing I have had was a message that said

"ACS.EXE is linked to a missing export ATHCFG11.DLL:?GetProfile@ACAdapterConfig@@QAPAVACProfile@@ABVCstring@@@2" (this last "2" might just be Z, I'm a rotten writer and it has gone now)

After clicking OK, this was repeated with "TWCU.EXE replacing the ACS.EXE but with the same message.

This has happened on two occasions when I have been installing, sorry, trying to install, the PCI card.

It seems that Athcfg11.dll may be a real file in the land of wireless routers, but Googling seems to indicate that it may be a known bug. One individual claimed he had found a "work around".

Should I go back to copying on to CD????? :(

Since the last post above I have spent several fruitless hours on this project. I downloaded a new driver set from TP LINK's site, and installed and uninstalled several times.

On my last abortive attempt this morning I got the message that "TWCU.EXE has caused a fault at.......etc" so I have binned the PCI card and ordered a new one.