My Christmas Present

-pops-

I'm sending this courtesy of my new Christmas present. With my advancing years and worsening arthritis I'm finding typing increasingly difficult so I was given Dragon Naturally Speaking 9.5 with its own wireless headset as a Christmas present.

I'm very impressed! I've tried his speech to text software before and always found it more trouble than it's worth but this one seems to be doing the job it's supposed to. Previously I found out you spend more time doing corrections than you would have done typing the damned thing in the first place. So far with this, it's made just one error which I think is quite good. I'm still training it but it looks as though my posts might well become more verbose now that I don't have to go to the effort of typing.

I'm sending this courtesy of my new Christmas present. With my advancing years and worsening arthritis I'm finding typing increasingly difficult so I was given Dragon Naturally Speaking 9.5 with its own wireless headset as a Christmas present.

I'm very impressed! I've tried his speech to text software before and always found it more trouble than it's worth but this one seems to be doing the job it's supposed to. Previously I found out you spend more time doing corrections than you would have done typing the damned thing in the first place. So far with this, it's made just one error which I think is quite good. I'm still training it but it looks as though my posts might well become more verbose now that I don't have to go to the effort of typing.

Very good - I spotted just one very minor grammatical. Fascinating that the programme knows when to insert correctly "it's" rather than "its". As you say - it's very impressive. Like you - I tried the software a few years ago and found it most frustrating. I contacted their support for help and they blamed the headset I was using - but backed off when I explained that it was supplied by them and included in the box with their software. It then became the fault of Windows ME - but was no better when I upgraded to XP later. You have tempted me to take another look at the software - do you think you could update us on your progress in a month or so when the initial flush of enthusiasm has died down and you may have exposed some bugs.

Can we also now look forward to you giving catgate a bit of competition - I do hope so......and it would be good practice with the software...... :unsure:

It made two errors then - one I didn't spot!

Still, it's not bad especially considering I've only been using it for a day with one five minute training session.

At the moment, I'm teaching it chemical names.

(Again, excellent accuracy record. No mistakes in this one - that I've seen).