Virgin Media announces broadband speed boosts

Chris

Broadband ISP Virgin Media has announced its plans for upgrading customers' broadband systems. Beginning late February customers with a 4Mbit/s service on Virgin Media's 'L' tier package will be upgraded free to a 10Mbit/s service. Completion is expected by late summer.

Virgin Media have also said it will be extending its top-of-the-range 50Mbit/s service, offering it to customers who currently have a 20Mbit/s connection.

The announcement comes on the eve of a high level Government symposium on " Superfast Broadband". Acting Virgin Media chief executive Neil Berkett argued that Virgin Media’s cable systems perform better than other broadband systems, because connection speeds are not limited by customers' distance from the exchange.

"Virgin Media's cable network gives us a natural superiority over other broadband services," added Berklett. "We've barely scratched the surface of what's possible with our cable network.”

More | Here

4mb to 10mb = free

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a VM user (once-Blueyonder/Telewest). Apparently they have upped my speed from 10mbs to 20 (XL business package). Since VM took over, slow page loading/desktop email client timing out and download speeds dropping to an average of 3.90kb/s, is a regular issue.

Very disappointed with the overall service (inc technical support via phone) - and if there was another cable company in England, I'm sure I wouldn't think twice about changing my ISP. :(