Anti Static Advice

O.k. I got my wriststrap (should have got aone years ago)

Now as I understand it I leave the pc turned off but plugged in and the croc clip attatched to the PC.

But can i attatch the croc clip to a radiator (OR OTHER EARTHED ITEM) If I'm ripping the power supply out????

Cheers

The correct way to do it is

1 turn the computer off

2 unplug from the mains socket

3 remove all Hardware(monitor etc etc) from there ports

4 put computer on a hard standing(preferably a table made of wood) surface.

5 remove casing and then attach the crocodile clip to the metal case and ensute the other end is clipped to your wrist, if you want to walk away from the computer unclip the static wrist strap from the hand end

To ensure that you do not get a static shock ensure at least one foot is allways touching the ground

Guest Nellie2
To ensure that you do not get a static shock ensure at least one foot is allways touching the ground
:lol: :lol: and how, pray tell, do you do your computer maintenance with no feet making contact with solid earth!!!!!! :D

Seriously though.........see points one and two??? Turn off the PC and unplug from the mains! You should never leave your PC plugged in whilst fiddling about inside.......regardless of what anyone says. After all, you wouldn't mend your toaster while it was still plugged in would you???

Guest ellas

well if I'm fitting memory I always leave it plugged in with the power point swich off,its what crucial recommended I know its risky but its up to you to make sure you electric sockets are in good condition and wired properly and the switch is on off.

Guest Nellie2
its up to you to make sure your electric sockets are in good condition and wired properly

Exactly my point....... if your electric sockets are in good condition and wired properly then if you leave your PC plugged in but switched off then you don't need a wrist strap because your PC is earthed through the socket. But, seeing as I cannot examine your electrics then I cannot advise you to do it this way. Sooo always switch off the PC and unplug it from the mains. Use the wrist strap as previously advised :)